Damaged R12 shraeder valve when installing R134a adapter

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

r-mm
Read the full article

Damaged R12 shraeder valve when installing R134a adapter

Post by r-mm »

I have installed a few sets of R134a adapters over the years without issue. I went out of my way to get a quality set for my '91 Porsche and asked the mfgr to confirm the existing shraerder on the R12 is supposed to remain in place. They said yes. As precaution I replaced the R12 fitting shraeders before beginning. I then charger the system.

From the outset the install of the adapters seemed odd. I didn't recall having pressure release as the adapter is being screwed on before, maybe I forgot or the other systems I worked on were empty. When I had the adapter installed I could not get a pressure reading with the R134a quick connect manifold. I removed the adapter and found the R12 shraeder bent and damaged.

Has anyone dealt with this before?
james89dx

Re: Damaged R12 shraeder valve when installing R134a adapter

Post by james89dx »

What is damaged on the schrader side exactly? Is it the outside threads or just the inner core? If the core, you can replace just the core for fairly cheap and easily.

This might be your car's last stand fighting you to the death saying "stay R12, stay R12" lol.
r-mm

Post by r-mm »

Haha true.

The manufacturer of the adapter confirmed they accidentally sent the wrong install instructions. The old Shraeder must come out. I can't entirely see into the port but i think the stem cracked the threaded portion somewhat.
Waco1mex

Post by Waco1mex »

I have a 1985 c10 do I need to remove the Schrader valve before I put new retrofit
r134a ports