Can a vacuum pump be "bad" despite pulling to proper Hg vacuum?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

james89dx
Read the full article

Re: Can a vacuum pump be "bad" despite pulling to proper Hg vacuum?

Post by james89dx »

Tim wrote:1000 or lower microns. It would indicate a working pump in my opinion.
I gotcha, thanks. I will definitely update this hopefully by early next week with the vent temp results after the vacuum with the actual professional shop machine.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Tim wrote:1000 or lower microns. It would indicate a working pump in my opinion.

It's okay to ask questions. All answers are simply suggestions by those that may have knowledge of repairing a system. Not all of us will have the same opinion all the time.

I respectfully disagree. A vacuum pump with a micron gauge on it should pull below 100; usually 50 microns.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Dougflas wrote:

I respectfully disagree. A vacuum pump with a micron gauge on it should pull below 100; usually 50 microns.
So I added a few zeros. Never matters on the debit. I hate when this happens.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
james89dx

Post by james89dx »

Welp, just to update this..... zero difference after vacuum/recharge on the big boy shop equipment. He's pretty surprised too as he works on a lot of fleet Altimas and knows first hand they should be able to do into the 40's vent temps no problem.

I'm thinking this thing must have too much oil. The OE service manual calls for 2.5 oz of oil with condenser replacement (even though the entire system only holds 5.1 oz), which I did even though at the time I was thinking to myself it seems like a lot. I mean the condenser is a real thin thing too.

Pretty frustrated here as 60 degree vent temps just don't cut it in Texas.