Put a bend in new suction hose to match OE

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

blackx70
Read the full article

Put a bend in new suction hose to match OE

Post by blackx70 »

Hello. 2002 Ford Excursion Limited (7.3 diesel). The liquid line from the compressor to the condenser failed so I got a replacement. Where the suction line comes off of the compressor to the drier, the old line bent like a D. The replacement (rubber portion) is the same length, but it is straight. How do you bend it like a D as to not kink it? All of the replacement lines look the same way.

Old line:

New line:

Thank you,
Joel
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Put a bend in new suction hose to match OE

Post by Tim »

If you're attaching to the compressor, it' the manifold lines. Pictures are small but the OE looks to have the rear line on it so I'll link to that.

https://ackits.net/product/57-0114/

Per the information provided. This should be the line.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
blackx70

Post by blackx70 »

Yes, the truck has the rear ac and it is the manifold. Here is a better picture of the old and new lines. It has to bend back around to go into the drier in the background of the first picture.

I have the new line. I just do not see how I can bend it.
New:
Old:
Old:
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Here is an additional option I found.

https://ackits.net/product/57-0610/

Help Support the Forum
blackx70

Post by blackx70 »

Yes, that second one is the correct line. The things is how do you make that suction line bend without it collapsing? It comes straight off of the compressor towards the front of the truck then you have to make it do a 180 degree bend to come back to the drier. I have the new line in my possession.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

I don't have a quick fix answer without placing stress on it. Someone with crimping tools may be able to make adjustments.

Sorry I can't help more.

Help Support the Forum
blackx70

Post by blackx70 »

Thank you. There has to be a way. :?:

Here is another picture of the old factory line. The extreme curve needs to be duplicated with the new line.

Here is a picture that I have of the old line installed. The red line shows how it comes off of the back of the compressor and curves around to the drier.

bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

The OEM hose was straight when it was crimped together. 18 years of underhood heat has made that bend permanent.

The minimum bend radius on -10 refrigeration hose is 3 inches. Install the hose. Don't bend it any more than needed to get it in to place.
blackx70

Post by blackx70 »

Thank you for your response. I just do not see how I can bend the new hose to go back around to the accumulator without it kinking. It kinks every time. I got another manifold, made by 4 seasons today that seemed to have thicker hose and it did the same as soon as I tried to put the bend in. Does the old hose have some sort of reinforcement inside to keep it from doing this?

Picture of the new manifold installed. It is a tight turn and it just wants to bend. :oops:

bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

A little more finesse should do it. Make sure the hose is warm. Work the bend in to the hose a little at a time, bending the length of it with your hands.

You may need to support the area previous kink with a couple of pieces of paint stirrer & a C clamp - at 90 degrees to the kink.

The OEM hose had no spring, and the Kent - Moore catalog shows no special tool for this installation.