Sealant?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dougflas
Read the full article

Sealant?

Post by Dougflas »

It has been said many times not to add sealant to a system. That was years ago as now there is available new types. The problem is that you must know which type. Sealants nowadays is ok as long as you know what you're doing. Sealant is only for minute leaks. Many manufactures sell sealants and they would not put their name on them if they would lead to problems. Most sealants are expensive and only used if the part (EVAPORATORS FOR INSTANCE) are not available. In the HVAC industry sealants (some with dye, some without) have been used for many years. I would suggest that anyone interested to Goggle "Spectroline"
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Sealant?

Post by Tim »

New or Old. Sealants in auto a/c systems are just something I'm not going to suggest. Knowledge is good, so research and make a choice. Just remember what was added and what can happen. IMO

While I'm not a sealer proponent. I'm sure as time passes better products come available. My main issue with products being added to a system. I see people returning a product as a failure and find odd refrigerants, oils, and sealer residue. If one uses these options. I would just prefer they don't return products under warranty of call a brand crap because of what they added.

If sealer companies offered to cover your components. Then I would look more serious at the product.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Dougflas

Re: Sealant?

Post by Dougflas »

You must know what you're doing. It is only for small micro leaks. I put this product in a 1988 Chevy Van last year that took a refill every year. I checked it yesterday and it was still fine. I know the leak was in the evaporator and it was not worth replacing. It is the non-polymer type that does not ruin the system.

https://spectroline.com/product/cool-seal-hvacr/