R12 system on 79 Trans Am

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

warrenseale
Read the full article

Re: R12 system on 79 Trans Am

Post by warrenseale »

The inlet and outlet lines of the evaporator are cool, not cold as they normally should be. The hot/cold damper door is functioning properly.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Unless I'm missing something. Full Refrigerant, cool inlet and outlet lines, hardly any variation from static pressure. Compressor spinning.

Seems to be a bad compressor.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
warrenseale

Post by warrenseale »

Well I opened up the system and pulled the orifice tube and found a couple pieces of rubber that looks like o ring material but which is not from the pipes/hoses. More concerning is that the screen was loaded with metal particles. Prior to the rebuild when I pulled the original 40 year old orifice tube, there was no debris plus I flushed and blew out the system prior to installing the compressor. Now I have to deal with the rebuilder :x
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Offhand, I don't know what the specs are for your car. But if the rebuilt compressor was empty of oil when you received it, did you add the correct amount and type of oil?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
warrenseale

Post by warrenseale »

The rebuilder fills it with 11 oz of ester oil. This is the full oil capacity of the system. Anyway, they are having me ship it back to them.
warrenseale

Post by warrenseale »

Well the rebuilder received and inspected the compressor and found an extra o ring inside it. They removed it and said that otherwise the internals look OK. They said the extra o ring would have caused the symptoms I experienced. We'll see! At least they turned it around in one day and paid for shipping to and from. The final testing shows it is working normally. I asked if they tested it the first time when the extra o ring was in place. They said that either they missed that step :o or it checked out OK at the time.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I wonder where the metal particles came from, though. Usually, that means something inside the compressor is disintegrating, as mentioned earlier.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
warrenseale

Post by warrenseale »

JohnHere wrote:I wonder where the metal particles came from, though. Usually, that means something inside the compressor is disintegrating, as mentioned earlier.
Most likely from the compressor prior to the rebuild. Some particles could have been sitting in the bottom evaporator tank even after the flush.
warrenseale

Post by warrenseale »

Ahhh! They positioned the clutch connection at 10 o clock instead of 2 o clock! There is no way the wire harness can reach it.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Ensure that you clean out any remaining metal particles. Metallic debris in the system that makes it back to the compressor will quickly ruin it.