1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Mikel
Read the full article

1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Post by Mikel »

Hello,
I'm in the process of reviving the A/C in my 1966 Toronado.

I rebuilt the A6 compressor, I'm having all hoses rebuilt and will be flushing the evaporator and condenser. What gas do you recommend? R134A, R152A? Propane/Isobutane? I have never dealt with a system with a POA. I plan on rigging mine with compressed air and testing its operation. Any suggestions?

Thank you.
Dougflas

Re: 1966 Oldsmobile A/C

Post by Dougflas »

Keep it R12
Mikel

Post by Mikel »

Dougflas wrote:Keep it R12
That would be ideal, but I am concerned about long term availability of R12.
Thanks.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I advise staying far away from the highly flammable refrigerants you mention: R-152a, propane, and isobutane. They're very dangerous to work with, present a fire hazard should the system leak, and they're just not worth the risk, in my opinion.

As already suggested, R-12 would be best because your system was originally designed for it.

R-134a will also work, is much less costly, and readily available for the foreseeable future. But it will have a slight penalty in cooling efficiency in your application.

If you decide to go with the latter, be sure the desiccant in the receiver/dryer you install is compatible with R-134a, that you evacuate the system well (several hours and even overnight), use the correct amount and type of oil (PAG-46 or PAG-100), and charge it to about 80-percent of the R-12 amount.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Mikel wrote:
Dougflas wrote:Keep it R12
That would be ideal, but I am concerned about long term availability of R12.
Thanks.
If you're in USA, there's a glut of R-12, as there are few actual uses for it. It's legal to use. Most of the R-12 vehicles are either off the road or those are amenable to conversions have been switched to R134a. Yes, I understand that R-12 is still relatively expensive, and that one "should" have a 609 certificate to purchase it, just make sure your system has no leaks, refrigerant is not a consumable should last indefinitely unless it leaks out.

I still use R-12 in my 1988 truck.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

If you think R12 is expensive, wait until you price R1234YF. R1234YF is being used on a lot of new vehicles.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Dougflas wrote:If you think R12 is expensive, wait until you price R1234YF. R1234YF is being used on a lot of new vehicles.
Yet another "not better" better idea.