Leaking aeroquip fittings??

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Amphicar770
Read the full article

Leaking aeroquip fittings??

Post by Amphicar770 »

Hi all,

About 3 years back I redid the AC on my '74 Porsche 914. Flushed everything, new compressor and other bits, redid all of the hoses and fittings with aeroquip components. Held vacuum great for over a month. Blows ice cold. Kept it as R12.

Fast forward approx 3 years later, not blowing cold. Needed about a pound of R12 to get back to specified pressures. Again, ice cold. Now the question is, "where is it leaking from".

I ran sniffer along system and discovered that if I get right on top of the fittings, where they meet end of hose, that I get some beeping. Unfortunately, not just one connector but multiple. They are all assembled correctly using aeroquip cages and tool. Needless to say, I am pretty dissapointed at this outcome.

Not sure what best course of action is short of replacing everything. Was considering applying a poly or epoxy sealant where end of hose meets fitting but not sure if that would work.

Any ideas or similar experience welcomed.

Thanks.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Leaking aeroquip fittings??

Post by bohica2xo »

Contact Aeroquip and find out what the annual permissible leak rate is for that fitting. Everything leaks a little. You are losing a pound in 3 years across 8 fittings and several feet of hose.

Commercial stationary comfort refrigeration is allowed to leak 10% of the total charge per year by the EPA Above that it must be repaired. Process refrigeration can leak 20% Those are brazed all metal systems.

Leak rate sounds like most 1970's cars. Perhaps Aeroquip has some suggestions or input.
Amphicar770

Re: Leaking aeroquip fittings??

Post by Amphicar770 »

Reached out to them (Eaton) via their web site. Never got a reply. :x