1992 Toyota Pickup AC Specs

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

glennjd
Read the full article

1992 Toyota Pickup AC Specs

Post by glennjd »

I have a 1992 Toyota Hilux, converted to 134a. The AC Clutch packed it in and in the process damaged the nose of the compressor so badly that the compressor needs to be changed. I have a new compressor and receiver/dryer and I'm planning on doing the install this week. The system is sound, no leaks, no problems other than the bad compressor clutch.

1) What is the oil capacity for this system (I'm assuming it uses PAG 46). The compressor came preloaded with 6 oz of PAG 546 (is this the same?).
2) I've been advised to make sure that 60% of the oil in the system is in the compressor when I reassemble. Is that correct?
3) I've been advised to add 1 oz. for the receiver dryer.
4) What is the total oil capacity for this system in ounces?
4) What is the R134a capacity for this system in ounces? What is the high/low side pressures at ambient (80 deg F.)?

I have a digital scale and thermometer. I plan on replacing the o rings at the receiver dryer, the compressor came with a new gasket. Would you also recommend replacing the hi/lo side valves?

Thanks for your help. I followed your advice least year with a condenser and receiver dryer replacement in my wife's Honda and it's still pumping out ice cold air. :D

James
glennjd

Re: 1992 Toyota Pickup AC Specs

Post by glennjd »

How much PAG oil should I put in the compressor prior to reassembly?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

I do not show a Hillux but most Toymotors show 7 oz of oil
glennjd

Post by glennjd »

That's what I've seen too (for the entire system). If 60% is in the compressor, then it should have about 4 ounces for the compressor and 1 for the receiver dryer (5 ounces total)? The new compressor has 6 ounces in it already (from the manufacturer). Is PAG 546 the same as PAG46?

James
mk378

Post by mk378 »

Back in the day, the recommendation for conversions was ester oil which I think is only available in 100 viscosity.

If it has the Interdynamic aluminum conversion fittings don't try to re-use those buy a pair of steel ones like the site sponsor sells or they may still be sold at NAPA.