Evaporator temperature sensor placement

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JohnHere
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Evaporator temperature sensor placement

Post by JohnHere »

Miggy wrote:@cusser. Yeah, his thermometer broke days before i brought the car. Ive been testing the car since the evaporator was replaced with the "good used original". All has been good so far. Only the air feels very humid every time the compressor cycles. Probably due to the humid weather here.
Glad the system is working well now. You might have already done so, but if not, check to ensure that the condensate tube that drains to the ground is clear and that water drains after running the A/C for a little while. More condensate should drain on humid days.
Miggy wrote:@johnhere. The sensing bulb of the TXV was pointing upside down according to the ac guy. He used stainless steel clamps to mount the bulb, and the insulation he used for the sensing bulb is like a foam boot that wraps tightly around the bulb which he claims is the same as factory original.
The sensing bulb direction does make a difference. Sounds like he did a good job correcting that and insulating the bulb.
Miggy wrote:With the information i gathered doing various google searches, my theory is the previous ac guy might have added too much oil to the ac, thus insulating the walls of the evaporator reducing heat transfer.
Could be.
Miggy wrote:Its very interesting that small errors or mistakes in the installation would make a big impact on the cooking. I think i want to take a course on ac repair on something cause its actually kinda fun. Not fun for my wallet though, as its a lot lighter now after this ordeal
You're right in that several small problems can result in a system not cooling properly, and taken together, they're usually costly to repair. Newer vehicles' A/C systems have become more complex, raising costs even further. And now that R-1234yf apparently is phasing in, investing in the equipment to deal with the new refrigerant is also very costly, not to mention the refrigerant itself. Refrigeration theory is interesting, and given your interest, I'm sure you'll enjoy increasing your knowledge, even if you have no plans to get into it professionally.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Miggy

Re: Evaporator temperature sensor placement

Post by Miggy »

I did a bit of searching on how to read the ac gauges and what the readings mean and stuff. I also ordered a manifold gauge online, and it arrived yesterday. Ill also be ordering a vacuum pump if i have extra cash just in case i would need it some time in the future :D

There is a new problem with the cars ac, and im trying to diagnose it at the moment. Will start a new thread on this soon.