AC Compressor not kicking on when trying to recharge system

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

cmilot6329
Read the full article

AC Compressor not kicking on when trying to recharge system

Post by cmilot6329 »

I recently replaced the control valve in the compressor and also the expansion valve in hopes of fixing my a/c issue where it was not cooling very well. If this doesn't fix it, it's probably a weak compressor. After replacing these 2 parts I've connected my gauges and a can of refrigerant. Opened the low side with the A/C turned on and set to high but the compressor is not kicking on. It was kicking on fine prior to me replacing these 2 parts and I didn't mess with anything electrical with the compressor so not sure what is going on. When trying to charge the low side goes to about 100 psi and the high side stays in the vacuum or near 0.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: AC Compressor not kicking on when trying to recharge system

Post by bohica2xo »

Low side service connector not depressing the Schrader valve. You have charged the service hose.

Try depressing the coupler a little bit to see if your low side gauge drops.
cmilot6329

Post by cmilot6329 »

That's definitely what it seems like. I tried pushing on the coupler and spun it all directions but still nothing. Low stays at up around 80. Seems like some is getting in as after I removed the gauges and press the schrader on the low port some refrigerant comes out. And when closing the low side of the gauges it drops the pressure down to about 20 psi. I tried jumping the compressor for a few seconds and it kicks on but the pressures don't change. Any other ideas? I've used these gauges plenty of times and they have always worked fine but I could try renting a set from autozone.

Also I know refrigerant is coming out of the can fine as when I press the schrader valve for the middle yellow hose it comes out fast.
Last edited by cmilot6329 on Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

It's good that you actually did not add any refrigerant. Because unless you just omitted that step from your post, you need to evacuate the system.

And agree about low side service connector not depressing the Schrader valve. Betting the refrigerant can itself did not get freezing cold.
cmilot6329

Post by cmilot6329 »

Yes it was evacuated and I drew a vacuum on it before attempting to recharge it. You are right the can did not get ice cold like it usually does. It got slightly cool and that's about it
cmilot6329

Post by cmilot6329 »

well i think I may have found the issue. I bought these self sealing cans. I've used them one before without the special adapter and I got it to work fine by screwing in the pin and then slightly backing it out. Well can't seem to get that to work anymore so bought the adapter. Even with the adapter connected and depressing the schrader for the middle hose I get a quick little burst of refrigerant spray out and then nothing. I have no idea why it's not working but I guess the hunt is on for some non-self sealing cans.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

The newer self-sealing cans sometimes refuse to release their contents. If you can't find any of the old-style cans, you could try accessing the cans you have using one of those side-tapping gizmos. That's a technical term :lol:
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
cmilot6329

Post by cmilot6329 »

haha I've never seen one of those side-tapping gizmos. I'll have to check it out as I now have like 6 of the self tapping cans. I tried 2 different brands and 2 cans from each brand and none of them would release anything or if they did they would release a small amount in the beginning then stop releasing any more. I tried everything I could to get them to release but to no avail. Maybe it's my tap not working with the adapter or something (although I did get my tap to work one time without the adapter one time with one of these same brands).

Anyhow, I did find several of the non-self sealing cans and they went in with no issues and the compressor kicked on in a few seconds. I got the correct amount in (about 24 oz's) and the low was at 50 and the high was only at 125. These seem a little off to me. Outside temp was probably around 75 and i'm in phoenix, AZ. Center vent air only got down to about 60 but when I drove it did get down to about 48 where before it would only get down to 60 and fluctuate around between 60-80. This was at night though so I guess the real test will be tmw afternoon when the temp is around 85 here. If it's still not cooling properly i'm assuming the compressor would be the next logical step to replace. I just replaced the control valve and the expansion valve since they are so cheap. Thank you all for the replies and will let you know what happens tmw!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'm also in Phx, and within the last couple of months I've seen pure R134a cans (NO SEALER !!!) with the traditional tops still on the shelves at both Home Depot and WalMart, $4.88 per can.

I also have a side tapper gizmo.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Side can tap is the only way to go. Always works, any size can.

Year / Make / Model of your car would help us with a diagnosis.