1999 saturn sl2 poor idle cooling/temps

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

Turbo
Read the full article

1999 saturn sl2 poor idle cooling/temps

Post by Turbo »

1999 saturn sl2 Idle temps blower on high speed only produce 60 degrees vent temps with 90 degree ambient. The car could be on the freeway and then vent temps get in to the low 40's but once the car stops the vent temps climb to an uncomfortable temp.

Idle
low psig 45--- high 185 psig-- 58 degree vent temp

1500 rpms
low psig 25--- high 245psig --- 49 degree vent temp

The vapor line back to the compressor is cold and sweating.
I soaked the condenser down with a garden hose and the high side leveled out at 175 psig (122 degrees) for a few minutes and then climbed back up to 245. I checked the temperature of the liquid line out of the condenser and it was 125 degrees. 245psi =145 degrees 145-125 equals 20 degrees subcooling. I know this is a txv system but I could not find a place to attach the sensor to check super heat. Think the txv is bad? Condenser or drier restricted? The fans are running full speed and the condenser is clean. This ac system has never been opened but has had a full charge placed in it.
Thank you for the help
Dougflas

Re: 1999 saturn sl2 poor idle cooling/temps

Post by Dougflas »

I think there was an upgrade kit for this using a scroll compressor. My memory is fading and I can not remember. Try Goggle search. I am thinking your older compressors were vane types but can not remember. It is tough getting old.