92 S10 Truck Blows Air Out Floor Vent Only

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dougflas
Read the full article

Re: 92 S10 Truck Blows Air Out Floor Vent Only

Post by Dougflas »

Dgreen wrote:Well, I changed the bearing and still have a noise. Also tried a different hub plate. Only thing I haven’t tried is a different coil and pulley. I put a stethoscope on the compressor and it sounds good.

Is it possible that the coil is weak and letting the clutch to slip and causing it to make noise?

Are ALL of the mounting brackets tight and in place? Is the system overcharged?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Dgreen wrote:Is it possible that the coil is weak and letting the clutch to slip and causing it to make noise?
If clutch is slipping, that should be evident visually.

I just last month fixed an intermittent slipping AC clutch on my 1998 Frontier. I removed a shim under the drive plate, and now it works fine. When the air was coming in warmer, I immediately pulled over, opened the hood, and could see that the clutch stopped engaging when it had power, because I had installed a dash light in parallel to let me know when the AC clutch was getting power.
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

I have the coil off and will try a different coil tomorrow. If it still makes noise, I’ll recover some refrigerant. I think 40:oz was the factory r12 charge. System currently has 36 oz of r134a in it. Low side was sweating heavily all the way back to the compressor. Over charge might be a possibility.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

If the low side is heavily sweating I do not think you're overcharged.
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

It was still noisy after changing the coil. Ordered a new compressor. Mounting hardware was tight.

Thanks for all the replies.
Dgreen

Post by Dgreen »

New compressor installed. Still making noise. It’s a wore out power steering pump. Lots of in and out movement on the pump pulley.

Thanks again for the replies.