ac tepid. accumulator hot

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Gremlinx
Read the full article

ac tepid. accumulator hot

Post by Gremlinx »

HI. I got a 1987 Buick GN and had a compressor failure. I found very little silt /filings in system but flushed all components anyway. i run ES-12 with great success. So I put on a rebuilt compressor from Jensen Automotive. I ran a "smart orifice" from Rockauto. More on that garbage later. Anyway, I can only read low side due to my gauges. So i get only subpar cooling and the out line from evap to the accumulator is warm and the accumulater/dryer is HOT. So i suspect the dryer and orifice. NEVER buy this type orifice...it took all my skills to remove it without killing the evap. The plastic its made of is very brittle and the end tab immediately breaks when pulling it out. Anyway, I put on new accumulator and a known older/good orifice. Its a tiny bit better coldness but same result....air not too cold and very warm accumulator. Im thinking its a weak compressor OR too much oil. Ive never had such a bad AC result since working on ac for 30 years. Does this sound like too much oil or a weak compressor? BTW, the line just passed the orifice tube is very cold and often froze before a complete charge. Sorry i dont have hi readings. Please Help. Thanks
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: ac tepid. accumulator hot

Post by bohica2xo »

A $150 rebuilt R4, HC refrigerant and no high side pressures.

Could be almost anything wrong here. Too much oil, junk compressor, undercharged, overcharged...

Call the compressor vendor at 810-679-9846 and ask them about HC's and no high side pressures...
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: ac tepid. accumulator hot

Post by JohnHere »

In reading your post, I had a similar reaction as bohica: It could be almost anything wrong.

Putting aside for now the ES-12 HC refrigerant, the rebuilt R4, the OT issue, and the symptoms you mentioned, did I understand correctly that your gauge set registered a low-side positive pressure and "zero" pressure on the high side? What is the center vent temp that you're seeing? You mentioned flushing the components but not how much oil and refrigerant you installed. Specific numbers would help point us toward the problem(s).
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.