A/C Compressor Clutch

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, JohnHere, Tim

reevesjo
Read the full article

A/C Compressor Clutch

Post by reevesjo »

2003 Chevy Trailblazer LS, 6 cyl, 4-wheel drive. A/C Compressor Clutch Pulley Bearing failed. I have it apart. Is there supposed to be a "brake-lining surface" on the inside face of the front cover and the pulley face? It was pretty cruddy and the both surfaces appear bare and a little rusty. And a slight appearance that there was at one time some added surface material. I did an internet search for a replacement clutch assembly. Some are available but I can see no identifying marks to tell me the model number etc.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: A/C Compressor Clutch

Post by bohica2xo »

No friction material. Metal on metal.

Be sure to set the gap correctly when you reassemble it.
reevesjo

Post by reevesjo »

I might add that my grand daughter was driving it, so I can not attest to any strange noises etc. When she returned it the serpentine belt was broken. I replaced it and when I tried to start, the engine growled a little and then the new serpentine belt snapped. This is when I discovered the A/C Compressor Pulley was locked up. When I disassembled the clutch, there didn't appear to be any "brake lining material" on either the end plate or the pulley face. And the balls in the bearing fell out on the floor. I am assuming this allowed the "brake lining material" to quickly wear away because of the misalignment of the two faces. I would like to just replace the pulley and the end plate, but I can find no model number on any of the parts or the A/C Compressor. The VIN of the Trailblazer is 1GNDT13SX32264659. When I enter this VIN on the GMpartsGiant.com, it says the Compressor Number is 25825339, but the clutch or individual parts are not available.
reevesjo

Post by reevesjo »

bohica2xo
Sorry, I misunderstood your answer. I will put things back together with a new bearing.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I'm not clear on whether the compressor seized and caused the clutch failure, or if this is simply an AC clutch issue. Can the compressor itself be turned with a wrench?

If only a pulley bearing, maybe a replacement bearing can be obtained and installed.

Typically, buying an AC clutch is comparable in price to buying a complete compressor with a clutch !
reevesjo

Post by reevesjo »

I was doing all of this with the Compressor still mounted and the fan & shroud removed. For sure, it was the pulley bearing. The inner race and balls fell out. I made a fixture to remove the outer race from the pulley and press in the new bearing. Was all ready to reassemble when I noticed the coil was "cruddy". I decided to gently touch it with a wire brush. BIG MIISTAKE. Didn't realize the front surface was OPEN to the coil wires. Need less to say, the coil wires started falling out. I tried to gently replace them in the slot, but decided the laquer coating was probably damaged and was inviting a short circuit. Decided I could never find a proper replacement, so I trashed my brilliant idea to repair. I installed a shorter serpentine belt to bypass the Compressor. After all, the 2003 Trailblazer is 16 years old is a spare vehicle. I HATE to fail and quit on a job, but my sanity was more important. Embarrassing to report, but thanks to all for trying to help.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

The site sponsor doesn't list the clutch assembly online for your vehicle. But I would call Tim anyway to see whether he can locate one for you.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Reman clutch cost the same as a New aftermarket compressor.

https://www.ackits.com/comp-trsa12-3450 ... -SD3450NEW
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote:Reman clutch cost the same as a New aftermarket compressor.

https://www.ackits.com/comp-trsa12-3450 ... -SD3450NEW
That's a good price !