V5 Compressor Question

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

gingerdude
Read the full article

V5 Compressor Question

Post by gingerdude »

I have an 01 Pontiac Grand Prix and an 05 Chevy Aveo. I believe both have the same V5 compressor design.

Ironically both are leaking at the input line to the condenser, most likely a dry o-ring. I have done several MVAC repairs so I know the gist and can repair this without much hassle. I have access to the essentials tools. The only thing I don't have is an evac machine, but I have a buddy who works at a shop who will evacuate it for me before I start work.

I have been reading on here that that it might be recommended to change the shaft seal and body seals on the compressor?

I guess my question is do both of my vehicles have the recommended double lip seal? What years was this seal put on? If they do, are they still likely to leak?

Should I pull the clutches to see if they are leaking? Or should I just say screw it and charge them and move on?
Tim
Site Admin

Re: V5 Compressor Question

Post by Tim »

------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

It depends on the overall condition of the compressor when it comes to the case O ring. If it has lived it's life in a wet corrosive environment like salted roads, it is probably a belly leaker. If it is an Arizona car it is less likely to have that issue.

Here is the teardown for that job:

https://www.autoacforum.com/messageview ... adid=21972

Hope that helps you decide.

B
gingerdude

Post by gingerdude »

Both vehicles have dye that I put into the system so I would imagine if they were belly leakers that would be easily visible. If that's the case I may very well tear them down.

However the main part I'm considering is the shaft seals. Since I can't really see them without removing the clutch, is it worth it to pull the clutches to look?

My biggest question is what year did they switch to the double lipped seals? It seems like once that switch was made the leaking shaft issue was eliminated. If mine are in the double lip seal group I will likely pass on even messing with the compressor unless I see belly leak issues or obvious die around the clutches.
CorvairGeek

Post by CorvairGeek »

I asked about the double lip seal in V5 years ago, as the shop manual for the '96 (GM A-body) specifically says they were equipped with the double lip seal. GM Tech (who has the best advice for all my old GM junk) said that was not correct and they did not go in as original equipment until later in the 90s (don't recall the specific year). When I replaced the original seal (which was slinging and dripping oil) it was still the single lip seal, and our car is even a very late '96 (bought new).
Hope this helps.

Jerry
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

It wasn't until 2002 model year for V-5 compressors went to double lip seals...
CorvairGeek

Post by CorvairGeek »

Even later than I remembered! Thanks!
gingerdude

Post by gingerdude »

Got it. Looks like I'll be pulling the clutch on the 01 then. Possibly just doing all the seals for it if it's leaking.

I'm guessing the 05 is probably fine with the shaft seal then? I'll look around the case for belly leaks.

Thanks!