ac quit blowing cold suddenly

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

djsuth
Read the full article

ac quit blowing cold suddenly

Post by djsuth »

hey fellas just joined cuz my 2000 caravan stop cooling!! and its close to 90s!! so here's the story. when i bought this thing 5 yrs ago i added freon to get it colder by just using the ad a can discount store hose no gauges! it has lasted up til today when i had to change out the radiator and when i got new 1 positioned and filled i ran engine to check for leaks but had not installed fans! the air was on and it was cold i went in the house to wait for engine to come to temp and when i returned the air was WARM!! i thought oh no fan cooling so finished the job and tried again! STILL WARM! viewed compressor it was constantly engaged. shut off van poked low valve and it hissed! now i was doing all this in the HOT WEATHER so my figure it out ability was drawing a blank! 1 thing i noticed was how the condenser got very hot in a short time like a minute! now my AC knowledge is minimal technically. i do have somewhat of an understanding of the system. any help appreciated! :shock: :?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: ac quit blowing cold suddenly

Post by Cusser »

You state that the compressor is always engaged, good.

I'd get real gauge set and measure both high and low refrigerant pressures at about 1800 rpm. Post those.

No more adding R134a (never add any sealers or refrigerant containing sealer) blindly either. You had a leak a few years ago, that did not heal itself.

I'd also check your electric engine cooling fan(s) or fan clutch, whichever your vehicle has.
djsuth

Post by djsuth »

Cusser wrote:You state that the compressor is always engaged, good.

I'd get real gauge set and measure both high and low refrigerant pressures at about 1800 rpm. Post those.

No more adding R134a (never add any sealers or refrigerant containing sealer) blindly either. You had a leak a few years ago, that did not heal itself.

I'd also check your electric engine cooling fan(s) or fan clutch, whichever your vehicle has.

so just for kicks i tried adding freon and it seemed to get cool maybe cooler than outside air it hardly took any wouldn't take more! someone on another thread talked about clutch slippage?
djsuth

Post by djsuth »

UPDATE i let her drive it and it's working again!! those are the kind of fixes i like!! lol :D
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Good. Sounds like you have a small leak, and enough R134a leaked out over the 5 years to where you noticed lack of cooling. If the cooling loss occurs again sooner than that, then time to find the leak and repair it.

NEVER ADD ANY SEALER OR REFRIGERANT CONTAINING SEALER !!!

If the AC clutch is slipping, one can typically observe this visually, the center part of the compressor will not engage when it's getting voltage.
djsuth

Post by djsuth »

oh HAHA!! the new radiator got a seam seal leak on a 95dg day! why!? cuz the FANS QUIT!! WHY!? cuz the CONTROLLER COOKED!! WHY!? cuz 1 fan started drawing too many AMPS!? i found this out when i hot wired the fans and the WIRES GOT HOT!! tried spinning them both 1 was wobbly!! disconnected THAT 1 and wires stayed cool!! i cant even FIND the controller!! supposed to be left lower frame rail but i dont see it!