Stuck open TXV, bad compressor, ...?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

PromiseRing
Read the full article

Stuck open TXV, bad compressor, ...?

Post by PromiseRing »

Hello all, I am working on a 2007 Toyota Camry 2.4L with inoperable AC. Here's the details

~85-90F outside, high and low side pressures both the exact same at about 145psi. I have 13v going to the compressor with the AC on, and I have verified 0 ohms resistance from ground wire connector to engine ground. So, I have power and ground going to the compressor, fans are both on as they should be, yet absolutely no change in high side and low side pressures. And yes, I am certain that my gauges were hooked up correctly. Also, this vehicle has a "variable displacement" compressor, so no clutch!

Where do I go next? My thoughts tell me a stuck open TXV, but even if it were fully stuck open, I would expect some type of pressure differential. Failed compressor?

Thanks in advance!
PromiseRing

Re: Stuck open TXV, bad compressor, ...?

Post by PromiseRing »

Upon further research, it looks like I may be dealing with a failed variable displacement solenoid.
PromiseRing

Re: Stuck open TXV, bad compressor, ...?

Post by PromiseRing »

Just an update, it was a bad compressor. This style compressor without a clutch has voids that break away if the compressor seizes. So, the pulley was able to move freely but internally the compressor was seized.

New compressor, TXV, condenser, and cleaned lines and it’s blowing nice and cold.