another hybrid system question change from fixed orifice to TXV

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

rustystuff
Read the full article

another hybrid system question change from fixed orifice to TXV

Post by rustystuff »

Another one of my hybrid builds is in progress. 2007 Ford Crown victoria A/C, using all underhood components, but cannot use the Ford evaporator and its enclosure due to space limitations in the cabin. It is currently a fixed orifice setup, I want to install an aftermarket under dash universal evaporator that has an included TXV valve.
Can I just lose the Ford evaporator and fixed orifice and switch to the new evaporator with TXV control?

Also can anyone verify if the Ford FS18 compressor is a fixed displacement or variable displacement compressor?

Thanks!
rustystuff

Re: another hybrid system question change from fixed orifice to TXV

Post by rustystuff »

anyone have any insight? As I understand it the TXV controls system pressure, so would this take the place of the compressor cycling switch? Or does a TXV system use both? Does the compressor run continuously on a TXV system?
Again I want to take a orifice tube AC system, remove the evaporator and orifice tube, and replace with an evaporator with built in TXV valve.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: another hybrid system question change from fixed orifice to TXV

Post by bohica2xo »

A TXV requires some sort of freeze protection. The low side cycling switch from the orifice tube system will do just fine.

Swap the OT for a TXV. Keep the cycling switch. Add a receiver dryer to the liquid line.