Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

1 inch to 1/2 inch ACME adapter?

MV10 on Fri May 22, 2015 7:25 AM User is offline

We disassemble semi trucks for export, and in some cases we must pump down the refrigerant (always R134a). We have a Mastercool 69000 series recovery pump which came with a 30 pound tank outfitted with the standard 1/2" ACME fittings.

We fill this tank pretty quickly and then things come to stop while we wait for the recycling guy to show up, so I bought a Flameking YSNR239 refrigerant tank which has a 239 pound capacity. I didn't realize until it arrived that it has valves that appear to be 1" fittings (or maybe it's metric, or something else -- it looks about 1" when I put my tape measure on it but that's not highly accurate). Is there a name for these larger fittings? Is there a reducer available so I can attach my 1/2" ACME line from the recovery pump?

Alternately, it looks like the valves in the larger tank are screwed into standard 3/4" ports, is there any reason I shouldn't just replace one of them with a standard 1/2" ACME Y-valve?

mk378 on Fri May 22, 2015 8:28 AM User is offline

Is there a "CGA" number on the tank valve? CGA fittings are used for larger tanks of various gases. They are all about 1" diameter but slightly different in order to discourage connecting the wrong gas. A three-digit number identifies the exact type of fitting.

If it is a CGA fitting your industrial gas supplier can help with adapters. You will probably need to adapt to pipe thread and then back to Acme.

Edit: 3/4-14 male threads are used on large refrigerant tanks. If that's the case search for the CPS Products AD81 should be what you need.

Edited: Fri May 22, 2015 at 8:57 AM by mk378

MV10 on Fri May 22, 2015 9:02 AM User is offline

Thanks. The only markings on the valves are 1323 stamped into the metal and on the other side 11040A cast into the metal. I do not see CGA on there at all.

It is specifically a refrigerant tank, just to be clear:

Not a great image but the nearest I could find to a closeup online:

mk378 on Fri May 22, 2015 10:34 AM User is offline

That is probably 3/4 straight pipe thread - 14 TPI pitch - and a "large refrigerant tank adapter" will fit. Hold the threaded end of a 3/4 inch trade size iron pipe up to the valve and see if the pitch matches, and the diameter will be about the same but straight instead of tapered. Similar valves are found on 125 lb cylinders of new refrigerant.

Edited: Fri May 22, 2015 at 10:38 AM by mk378

MV10 on Fri May 22, 2015 10:42 AM User is offline

Thank you!

Dougflas on Fri May 22, 2015 3:41 PM User is offline

what you need is sold by Johnstone supply. their number is H26-841. Then you'll also need a B11-995 which is a female 1/4 flare to male acme adaptor.

MV10 on Fri May 22, 2015 3:56 PM User is offline

Thanks, the CPS adapter mentioned earlier will be here Tuesday, if that doesn't work I'll hit up the local Johnstone Supply. I appreciate it.

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.