Automotive Air Conditioning Information Forum (Archives)

Provided by

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Search Auto AC Forum Archives

Help with 1990 mustang issues and retrofit

Stryped on Sun June 02, 2013 8:59 AM User is offline

Year: 1990
Make: Ford
Model: Mustang
Country of Origin: Uruguay

I have a couple of questions. 1st, my car came from the factory with air. I need replacement hose blocks. I can not find them anywhere. They bolt to the top of the nipo compressor and the low pressure and high pressure hoses connect to them. I will contact additional junk yards tomorrow but if I cant locate these, is there another option? I know my car also used a different compressor for dealer installed air. If this is my only option, what would I need to make my current hoses which are new fit this style compressor?

One last question, I am converting to 134-A. I would like to use a parallel flow condenser for increased performance. I was looking at "economy" models. I could probably find one that would fit the physical space, however the high and low side on your condenser are different type fittings and one is on the bottom and the other on top. Do you sell the material I would need such as fittings and tubing to make an "adapter" for lack of a better word so that these would mate to my ford spring lock fittings? I can weld and have a mig welder but understand these fittings must be brazed. Is this very hard to do?

I really appreciate this. I would like this to perform well as it is very hot where I live. I would prefer to get this thing to perform even better than the factory r-12 that was in it. I appreciate any advice you could give me to achieve that.

iceman2555 on Sun June 02, 2013 5:38 PM User is offlineView users profile

Unfortunately, the salvage yards are probably the best location for these manifolds. They are not part of the compressor assembly and should have been removed from the OE compressor. If there is a local core supplier, you may check with them also.
If the manifolds can not be located, it will probably be necessary to fabricate a replacement or change the compressor to another unit...perhaps a Sanden unit and them make hoses for this compressor. Failure to locate the correct manifolds will require extensive hose modifications. Since these modifications are necessary, why not just make hoses for the compressor and the condenser and do not worry about 'engineering' an adapter for the condenser.
Performance better than R12 may be a stretch...but at least perform as well as the OE unit. Insure the system is clean, recharge to the correct amount....if changing the condenser simply re charge with the factory specified amount of 134a. It should not be necessary to short charge the system. Use the correct lubricant for the system.
Good luck....let us know how this progressed.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Stryped on Sun June 02, 2013 9:36 PM User is offline

Stryped on Sun June 02, 2013 9:37 PM User is offline

So it would or would not be better to go with a parallel flow? Should I just go with r-12?

Stryped on Sun June 02, 2013 9:39 PM User is offline

If I am not mistaken, the sanden compressor has fittings on the top. Do they not make some sort of right angle adapter for this? If that was the case, I could use my factory hoses.

Back to Automotive Air Conditioning Forum

We've updated our forums!
Click here to visit the new forum

Archive Home

Copyright © 2016 Arizona Mobile Air Inc.