53 Packard Patrician factory AC

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

MoparEarl
Read the full article

Re: 53 Packard Patrician factory AC

Post by MoparEarl »

Tim wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:21 am Not offended. I limit images per post because people like to post 40 images without making them a reasonable size. 38 of the images don't even pertain to the information needed.
Glad to hear there is no offense taken. Apparently just someone trying to stir a pot, that's empty. Lol I didn't even want to post pics but was getting requests.

Thanks,
Earl
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

MoparEarl wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 am
Tim wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 10:21 am Not offended. I limit images per post because people like to post 40 images without making them a reasonable size. 38 of the images don't even pertain to the information needed.
Glad to hear there is no offense taken. Apparently just someone trying to stir a pot, that's empty. Lol I didn't even want to post pics but was getting requests.

Thanks,
Earl
TBird is a great guy! You need to know the history of our forum before thinking he is stirring the pot. He was just looking out for the forum is how I looked at it. Back to AC questions.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I have discussed this case with some other AC guys, and it is possible that a shop that can rebuild the famous GM A6 might be able to overhaul the OEM comp. (which is a semi-hermetic)
Or perhaps a shop that overhauls semi-hermetic comps as used commercially such as a Copeland semi-hermetic.
Is there a model number or any other ID markings on that comp. You would be Mr Kool if you were using the OEM comp and no fiddling with brackets
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
MoparEarl

Post by MoparEarl »

Not sure I would want the original compressor. The adjustment ear is broken off and missing as well as the idler pulley assembly. My understanding is these type aren't rebuildable. I included a pic of an original compressor with idler assembly. The idler assembly appears to be part of the compressor? I think it was part of the adjustment ear. These cars are so rare, finding information and pictures is hard. The factory parts manuals don't show anything in detail either. This compressor would be before an A5. I thought about using an A6, but the brackets they need is a lot of fab work. Cadillac used the same compressor minus the idler assembly in 1953. There is a Cadillac version on eBay currently. Link provided. I'm not sure the OE compressor performed at idle with its large pulley and low idle speed of the time. Troubleshooting states all troubleshooting of system performance is to be at 40 mph or greater. Lol But there is data tags on the OE compressor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/204564110642?m ... media=COPY

I'm in touch with a Packard expert that makes a bracket for the Sanden to mount on the head. Picture included. He's being using this mount for years with success for add on AC using a longer single belt for the PS to drive both. He is willing to alter his design to allow the Sanden to use the OE AC dual belt pulley on the front of the damper.

I thought about putting an under dash unit in and not using the trunk EVAP but I want to keep the car as original as possible and for the AC to be fully functional and comfortable vs a functional novelty. Hopefully that goal will be achieved.

My homework is to measure the crank pulley and OE compressor pulley for diameter. Grab pics of the txv and EVAP core. Get measurements of the EVAP core and the line sizes for the EVAP.

Thanks
Earl
Attachments
618_525c9197ec0b2.jpg
618_525c9197ec0b2.jpg (19.19 KiB) Viewed 26029 times
209_4e57c1c2209ec.jpg
209_4e57c1c2209ec.jpg (80.42 KiB) Viewed 26029 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Which engine do you have? The 288 and 327 were of the same block and had 5 mains. The 356 had 9 mains. Granted this is not a car forum, but I have restored the '54 Packard ambulance w/ 288.
Be careful of the rearward valves. Cooling back there was sub optimal and you had to stay on top of adjusting the valves on #7 and 8 else they would burn. Might want to check them.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
MoparEarl

Post by MoparEarl »

Has a 327 9 main bearing engine with hydraulic tappets. 9 main bearing 327 was only used in the 400 series cars 51 to 53. It's a 4 barrel carb, new for 53 year. Solid tappets were used on the low end cars. 54 got a 4 barrel 359 engine which I believe has hydraulic tappets and 9 main bearings as well. 55 the V8 finally showed up.

Earl
MoparEarl

Post by MoparEarl »

I was able to get some info that may help size the compressor. Originally I thought a classic A6 compressor as it would look more period correct. Also those were very large displacement. But they require a lot of brackets and would be a pain to fab. Also those compressors weren't designed to pressure cycle, a always on when AC was on compressor. I read the clutches burn out when you try to cycle them. So I thought maybe the updated version S6, but I don't know if they are pressure cycling compatible. But uses the same massive brackets as the A6. So I was looking at a Sanden 7h15. Easier to fab brackets and will handle modern pressure cycling. But it's displacement is only 9.5 cubic inches. The A6/S6 compressors are 12.6 cubic inches. Then I found the Sanden enhanced compressors. They are a modified version that performs like a 12.8 cubic inch compressor. No idea what the original compressor displacement is. No information can be found about it.

[ ] Lines to EVAP 3/4" and 3/8" OD copper
[ ] Crank pulley OD 6.75", OE idle speed is 450 rpm but I can bump it up to what the compressor would need.

EVAP core info
[ ] 10 fins per inch, aluminum
[ ] Core fin length is 21.5"
[ ] Core fin depth 8"
[ ] Core fin height is 6"
[ ] Core width 24" including the loops
[ ] 7 tubes top to bottom
[ ] 16 tubes front to rear
[ ] Air flow is in the top and out the bottom.

Thanks,
Earl
Attachments
IMG_20231214_162105797.jpg
IMG_20231214_162105797.jpg (196.21 KiB) Viewed 23024 times
IMG_20231214_162052608.jpg
IMG_20231214_162052608.jpg (186.73 KiB) Viewed 23024 times
IMG_20231214_162037427.jpg
IMG_20231214_162037427.jpg (188.09 KiB) Viewed 23024 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"Crank pulley OD 6.75", OE idle speed is 450 rpm but I can bump it up to what the compressor would need."

Please remember that if you have the idle set too high on a stick shift that you will have a lot of trouble shifting it...you will get a lot of grinding. Try it ahead of time before you commit to your design
MoparEarl

Post by MoparEarl »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:17 am "Crank pulley OD 6.75", OE idle speed is 450 rpm but I can bump it up to what the compressor would need."

Please remember that if you have the idle set too high on a stick shift that you will have a lot of trouble shifting it...you will get a lot of grinding. Try it ahead of time before you commit to your design
Thanks for the suggestion. Synchronized trans. Shouldn't be an issue as long as the clutch fully releases and no issues with the pilot bushing. But will try it before hand, but I honestly can't see that causing an issue on a synchronized trans with no drag issues. It needs a clutch anyways. Past owner(s) slipped it too much. So it will get extra care while apart.

According to a pulley ratio calculator, 550 engine rpm would give a Sanden with a 4.92 pulley 755 rpm. The Sanden minimum rpm is 700. But I don't know what rpm it would need for satisfactory cooling at idle. 600 engine rpm would spin the compressor at 823 rpm.

Thanks,
Earl
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

I should have specified getting into first gear (non-synchro) can be the challenge. Glad you are gonna try it first