AC HOSES

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

sanchez
Read the full article

Re: AC HOSES

Post by sanchez »

The condenser and compressor are for a 1995 Camaro Z28. As per the research done by Oriellys they also work for the 94-96 Caprice Police Edition.
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

I spoke to Oriellys and the compressor, condenser and dryer they sold me is for a 1995 Camaro Z28. The AC manifold hoses for a 1995 Caprice.
The LT1 engine installed in the car is from a 1995 Caprice (Police Edition).
Searcing the internet the AC compressor for the Caprice is #15-22135A and for the Camaro Z28 is #19188306
Even though the compressors look similar, the part numbers indicate that they are not the same.
Can I use the Camaro Z28 Compressor with the Caprice AC manifold hoses as shown in the picture I previously posted?
Should I start the process all over and get the AC compressor #15-22135A and the Condenser for the Caprice whic looks like the ones in the pictures below?
Attachments
caprice condenser.jpg
caprice condenser.jpg (13.79 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
Caprice compressor.jpg
Caprice compressor.jpg (18.36 KiB) Viewed 4332 times
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Your compressor will be fine. Looks like both cars used some variant of the H_6 series. HD6, HT6 etc.

The Caprice condenser would be much easier to make hoses for. It uses standard male O ring fittings that are available everywhere.

The one thing about the mid 1990's big GM condensers is they used the same size fitting in and out. In this case, both are -8 size. As long as you connect the liquid line to the bottom fitting - the one that connects to the bottom of the condenser you are good.

Your liquid line to the Jaguar expansion valve will likely be a -6 size. Most universal dryers are -6 as well. It is quite simple to get hose ends with a -6 hose size and -8 threads to make a hose as needed.

Hoses and hose ends can be had at most shops that make industrial or hydraulic hoses. You can buy the fittings, fit the hose lengths, adjust and mark the clocking - then return to the hose shop to have them crimped.
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

The parts I need to complete the AC system is the line that goes to the top of the condenser to the corresponding Receiver/Dryer.
I have been searching the internet for the past 24 hours for GM part # 10269581 or AC Delco #15-33132 and it is NLA. No one has this line.
Does anyone on the forum have a used one that I can purchase?
The other option is to replace the condenser with the one in the picture I posted for the Caprice.
As per bohica2xo "As long as you connect the liquid line to the bottom fitting - the one that connects to the bottom of the condenser you are good".[/b]
So:Is this assumption correct?
1. Suction line (low) from Compressor to Expansion Valve.
2. Discharge line(High) from Compressor to Bottom of Condenser.
3. High side line from Expansion Valve to Dryer.
4. Connect Dryer to top of the condenser
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

That would depend on your expansion valve. My parts list for that Jaguar shows a brass, right angle externally equalized expansion valve.

Later models had the H type aluminum expansion valve with both the liquid and suction line connections. Which valve does your car have?

We don't rely on OEM hoses for engine swaps. We make hoses to fit the need. Any hose shop should be able to do this for you. The liquid line from that Caprice condenser would be a -8 fitting to a -6 hose at the condenser, and a -6 fitting on the other end. You should be using a standard receiver / dryer like this:

https://www.ackits.com/085737-00-univer ... al%20dryer
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

Yes. It is a brass, right angle externally equalized expansion valve.
Attachments
DSCN1923.JPG
DSCN1923.JPG (125.35 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
DSCN1923.JPG
DSCN1923.JPG (125.35 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

IN A QUANDARY!!!
Based on the configuration of the components I have I am concerned that they may be wrong.
The Camaro Z28 condenser has the discharge line from the compressor connected to the bottom of the condenser and the Liquid line connected from the expansion valve to the top of the condenser with the dryer in between.
Based on the above my connections will be as follows:
* Suction line from Compressor to Expansion Valve/Evaporator.
* Discharge line from the Compressor to the large port (Bottom) of the condenser.
* Liquid line from the expansion valve to the top of the condenser with the dryer in between.
* The dryer inlet side is connected to the smaller line coming from the top of the condenser then goes to the Expansion valve.
Is this the correct configuration? If not please let me know so that I can purchase the correct parts.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

sanchez wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:18 am ....condenser has the discharge line from the compressor connected to the bottom of the condenser and the Liquid line connected from the expansion valve to the top of the condenser .....
* Discharge line from the Compressor to the large port (Bottom) of the condenser....
* Liquid line from the expansion valve to the top of the condenser ....
* The dryer inlet side is connected to the smaller line coming from the top of the condenser then goes to the Expansion valve.

The above indicate the condenser is installed upside down.

Condenser has its larger/vapor connection on top and the smaller/liquid connection on bottom. Its a gravity thing.

sanchez wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:18 am * Suction line from Compressor to Expansion Valve/Evaporator.

This is written confusingly since the suction side of the compressor does not go to the expansion valve. The expansion valve is on the evaporator, on the "in" end but the suction side of the compressor is connected to the "out/exit" side of the evaporator which is a larger fitting size.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

It may be confusing because I don't know the terminology. So here we go again.
Low side from compressor to evaporator.
Discharge line from compressor to bottom of condenser.
Liquid line from evaporator to condenser.
Attached is the AC schematic for the Camaro
Attachments
ac_system.jpg
ac_system.jpg (168.5 KiB) Viewed 3560 times
sanchez

Post by sanchez »

Here is a pic of the Expansion valve on my car
Attachments
DSCN1930[1].jpg
DSCN1930[1].jpg (145.35 KiB) Viewed 3558 times
DSCN1930[1].jpg