Condenser upside down.

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Re: Condenser upside down.

Post by andrew vanis »

Tim wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:22 pm
andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 am The universal condensers usually have symmetric design and mounting holes and can usually be flipped up/down and left/right as needed.
Large fitting is always on top. Left/Right, yes.
that is true large always up - tried to say that if he has it 8/large fitting down, he should be able to put it 8/large up because of the symmetry
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
Legitness211

Post by Legitness211 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:30 pm As far as how much 134 to use in an unknown system, Brad (Bohica) has posted a procedure to follow in that case. I am sure a search will turn it up
I guess you are referring to this:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a custom system where the charge level is only a guess I handle it like this:

Watching the high side with it idling & the cabin fan on low, add a half ounce of refrigerant to the low side & wait for a minute. Did the high side stabilize at the same pressure? Or 1 psi higher? That means the refrigerant is being stored in the Receiver as liquid, where it takes up very little space.

If you add 0.5 ounces + 0.5 ounces + 0.5 ounces, and see little or no high side rise, it is still stacking up in the receiver & the line from the condenser.

If you see a 5 psi rise with only a half ounce of refrigerant, it is filling the condenser itself. This is the "spike" One should recover the charge at that point & weigh it. Then deduct an ounce & use that for a charge spec.

The problem is you only know what "enough" is, by going too far...

Add a little refrigerant, monitor pressures & the vent temps. Remember to let the system stbilize for a minute after adding. Log the resuls & post them for us.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If that's the case, thankyou for the information, I will try that method, the only complication would be that I have to use 12oz cans, but let's see what happens.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:09 pm
Tim wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:22 pm
andrew vanis wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:25 am The universal condensers usually have symmetric design and mounting holes and can usually be flipped up/down and left/right as needed.
Large fitting is always on top. Left/Right, yes.
that is true large always up - tried to say that if he has it 8/large fitting down, he should be able to put it 8/large up because of the symmetry
I try and keep things short and to the point. :)
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

Tim wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:25 pm I try and keep things short and to the point. :)
It's something to emulate - I'm working on it :lol:
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

Legitness211 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:14 pm
tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 2:30 pm As far as how much 134 to use in an unknown system, Brad (Bohica) has posted a procedure to follow in that case. I am sure a search will turn it up
I guess you are referring to this:

On a custom system where the charge level is only a guess I handle it like this:

Watching the high side with it idling & the cabin fan on low, add a half ounce of refrigerant to the low side & wait for a minute. Did the high side stabilize at the same pressure? Or 1 psi higher? That means the refrigerant is being stored in the Receiver as liquid, where it takes up very little space.

If you add 0.5 ounces + 0.5 ounces + 0.5 ounces, and see little or no high side rise, it is still stacking up in the receiver & the line from the condenser.

If you see a 5 psi rise with only a half ounce of refrigerant, it is filling the condenser itself. This is the "spike" One should recover the charge at that point & weigh it. Then deduct an ounce & use that for a charge spec.

The problem is you only know what "enough" is, by going too far...

Add a little refrigerant, monitor pressures & the vent temps. Remember to let the system stbilize for a minute after adding. Log the resuls & post them for us.

If that's the case, thankyou for the information, I will try that method, the only complication would be that I have to use 12oz cans, but let's see what happens.
^ nice find! I'll be needing to do that as well so thanks for the find.

It's in this topic and the following post in that topic by bohica2xo is also insightful https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 324#p12324

Also DetroiAC wrote about a Plateau approach with additional techniques https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=14871
Legitness211

Post by Legitness211 »

By the way, how much oil do you think I have to add now that I have replaced the condenser, it is like 55cmx30cm.

And how much do I have to add replacing the reciever too.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Typically, I add about 1/2-ounce to each on replacement with new components. Of course, this is guesswork unless you're starting with a completely "dry" system and adding exactly to specifications. Then, you can "oil balance" the system or add all the oil into the compressor if it will take it.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Legitness211

Post by Legitness211 »

JohnHere wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 6:27 am Typically, I add about 1/2-ounce to each on replacement with new components. Of course, this is guesswork unless you're starting with a completely "dry" system and adding exactly to specifications. Then, you can "oil balance" the system or add all the oil into the compressor if it will take it.
I drained the old oil from the compresor, about 4oz, and added the same amount of PAG100 oil, the compressor says on the label 150ml or about 5oz of PAG100, should I another Oz of oil, or is enough oil remaining on the compressor after draining? I took out all the oil I can.

So with the new reciever and condenser I should add another 1oz of oil right?

And taking the lines and the evap into consideration, It would be correct to say that my system needs about 7-8 oz of PAG100 in total?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

"So with the new receiver and condenser I should add another 1oz of oil right?"
YES.

If the system were all new and dry, the 5oz that the comp calls for would be circulated around all the components.
On the assembly line at the factory, the comps have the required oil and it is then distributed at first start up

" It would be correct to say that my system needs about 7-8 oz of PAG100 in total?"
No.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Legitness211

Post by Legitness211 »

tbirdtbird wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:44 pm "So with the new receiver and condenser I should add another 1oz of oil right?"
YES.

If the system were all new and dry, the 5oz that the comp calls for would be circulated around all the components.
On the assembly line at the factory, the comps have the required oil and it is then distributed at first start up

" It would be correct to say that my system needs about 7-8 oz of PAG100 in total?"
No.
Ohhhh ok, so when the system was new and dry, the amount of oil that the compressor needed, determines the amount of oil of the whole system, in this case 5oz, is that right?