Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by andrew vanis »

My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by tbirdtbird »

We truly thank you for your donation.
Posting a picture per se of items that are of your interest are certainly fine. Including any info about the seller, whether a link or not, is not kosher since Tim himself is an online seller at the sister website, ackits.com. We would hope that makes sense to you.

Tim's prices and quality cannot be beat. That is where all my purchases come from. If you are interested in a certain item and cannot find it at ackits.com, email Tim, you will find him to be extremely helpful. There are items he has not had a chance to catalogue yet.

We are eager to see your project continue to materialize
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Your pics are NOT the same block.

If you look in the bores on the picture I posted you can see the through holes from the fittings, they are no taller than the block itself
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:04 pm Your pics are NOT the same block.

If you look in the bores on the picture I posted you can see the through holes from the fittings, they are no taller than the block itself
Correct, as mentioned, not the same pics. And without additional views, inconclusive what height it is - who knows may be a 3" tall solid block.
andrew vanis wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:34 am

re: the block you cited -

a couple weeks ago now I've reached out to the manufacturer of the block you included a picture of to get alternate side and front images of that specific block to see how it would fit because

1) it is not clear what the fitting height actually is since it could be like their other offering in the pictures below (in the next post) where the bottom view looks like it could work but the front view makes it clear that the fitting is actually several inches high. (images in next post since this post has reached its limit from your image link and the thread link below)

I've asked the manufacturer for additional views to determine how/if it might work and they do not have any nor do they have any to take since they are out of stock because they make the fittings to order.
And it is still unclear if it would work considering the bolt-block behind the pulley to which the fittings directly point and will be close to
andrew vanis wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 10:34 am
2) if the block you cited is in fact "flat" there is a concern that the 90deg fittings/hose connectors would clear the front bolt channel and if they would, the fittings should have to be angled over each other creating additional height which, since this adapter plate required the compressor to be raised to clear a mounting bolt. Because of the bolt block behind the pulley I wonder if that specific block is intended for teh FS10s that have the ports on back rather than a top-port FS10 like the one I'm using here.

*** The main question still is what cans of worms might exist in rotating that compressor 90 deg?

Or another way to ask, any issues for the compressor if it is mounted 90deg clockwise rotated?

Thanks
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:13 pm Including any info about the seller, whether a link or not, is not kosher since Tim himself is an online seller at the sister website, ackits.com. We would hope that makes sense to you.
It makes sense to me and I agree with your statement and even can see the spirit of the rule on Seller item numbers and pics including item numbers.

The thing is, what you requested removed is Manufacturer info not Seller info.

Without the Manufacturer info, how are folks supposed to know what is being discussed?

And then it gets more interesting like i.e. compressor blocks for this compressor. I asked Tim/ACKITS.com on what he carries and he only offers the straight up version, does not offer the 90 or 45 version. The folks that I've found that offer those are the manufacturer and seller. How is the situation handled when ACKits doesn't carry the item and/or the manufacturer is also a seller? How can we have a discussion on those things and let folks know where to get it since they can't get is at ACKits.com?
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

TBH I have never needed to re-clock an FS 10. There are passages inside to transfer intake and exhaust gasses from the pulley end to the rear - remember there are double ended pistons in that compressor. Both ends are a cylinder head. It is unlikely that Ford left room for a (useless to them) clocking.

Second, they are not too much fun to assemble. You have to remove the clutch and pulley to get to the cross bolts. Lots of parts internally. 10 loose ball bearings. 2 sets of reed valves.

Third, you will instantly void any warranty when you do that.

Just buy the short drop 90 and finish the system. What evaporator are you using?
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo,

Thanks for the reply. These are the things that come to mind from your post -
bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:30 pm It is unlikely that Ford left room for a (useless to them) clocking.
What does "left room" mean
bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:30 pm they are not too much fun to assemble.
OK, disassembling is of the table. re: warranty, the cost of the compressor is small compared to evac/flush/replace condenser and receiver/drier so not a big influence. and it makes sense to keep it unmolested if possible.
bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:30 pm What evaporator are you using?
6-vent 32,000 BTU 610 CFM

bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:30 pm Just buy the short drop 90 and finish the system.
If it was only that simple. as mentioned a few post ago, I'm worried about clearance both with the compressor and then the height with the overlapping hoses. Here are some pictures illustrating that. Looks like I'd need about 3" above the compressor port plane. (one pic here, two others in following post)

bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

So use the tangential exit block, and a couple of short drop 90 degree fittings. Move the service ports off of the compressor - they don't need to be there.

Or use a 90 on one port and a 45 or 135 on the other. Lots of plumbing choices.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:30 pm Just buy the short drop 90 and finish the system.
Thanks for making me look deeper. Found these promising solutions. They are promising because I could leave the compressor vertical.

I'll contact the source(s) if they would work on the FS10 since from some sources indicate they fit GM systems some say just 3/4" and 7/8".

Is 3/4" #8 and 7/8" #10?

Option 1 - "Universal Compressor Swivel Manifold with 3-4" Discharge x 7-8" Suction Ports"

I like this one because it would be short (height wise) and I could go directly to the right on the right port and then on the left port align it 45deg angle and put on a 45deg fitting and both would go nice and flat to the right.

Or get these separate units and make my own back/press plate.

Last edited by andrew vanis on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

Option 2 - not clear yet what the overall height is. (I'll be asking) It would have the advantage of combining the block and hose fitting.

Last edited by andrew vanis on Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.