Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

andrew vanis
Read the full article

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:26 pm So use the tangential exit block, and a couple of short drop 90 degree fittings.
What is a "tangential exit block"? googling that term didn't yield an applicable result.

Thanks for the alternate plumbing/fitting ideas. I miss the old printed catalogues where one could leaf through pages assembling like lego blocks. With the internet versions, one almost needs to already have an idea what they are looking for and what its called.
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... 214#p28214
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Rotate compressor or move ports to side - generally possible? (with specifics for FS10 compressor)

Post by bohica2xo »

Search for

Short drop 90 beadlock

That will bring up fittings

Tangential block is the one with threads sticking straight "up" in your location
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:51 pm Search for

Short drop 90 beadlock
bohica2xo wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:51 pm Search for

Tangential block is the one with threads sticking straight "up" in your location

Great, thanks!

If the universal rotate-anyway block a few posts up won't work, I'll go this direction. Thanks for this idea!
My posts are the way they are based on Tim’s instructions "two images per thread. One thread per topic."
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

You can't clock one half of an FS-10 90 degrees.

It's 5 bores arranged in a circle, pistons are double ended. (FIXED SWASPLATE - 10 pistons) Look at pentagon and rotate it 90 degrees, it's not the same.
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

DetroitAC wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2023 4:52 pm You can't clock one half of an FS-10 90 degrees.
Looks like I'm going through and still curious - Could I clock the whole compressor 90 deg?
andrew vanis

Post by andrew vanis »

Tim wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:35 am I'd probably use this, and that's all the data I have on it.

35-39356
Thanks for that lead Tim. checked that item out (or something similar) and it is taller than the 2.5" clearance I have. I'll be trying these side fittings. The long one is by Caterpillar. the other is made by several manufacturers. I'm told the Cat one is 2.5" tall to the top of the port so it could be close.

With the long and short one I'll be at the edge of the compressor to go freely from there.
Attachments
AC fitting location Capture.JPG
AC fitting location Capture.JPG (42.65 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
fittings Capture.JPG
fittings Capture.JPG (34.56 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

You can clock an FS-10 to any position, keeping the drive shaft horizontal
andrew vanis

Custom AC system design and install VW Vanagon with Subaru EJ25 engine - Help Requested

Post by andrew vanis »

(link-tip: If a link is not blue or gray and does not “click” as expected, it is edited with a “ “ (space after the “www. ”) To access those links, copy/paste the entire link into a browser and remove the space. This edit is necessary to work with the 2-link/post maximum and to avoid making additional posts to hold just links)

Thanks for the help so far on the Compressor selection and other areas.

At the stage of designing the layout.

Here is a 1-1/2 minute video of the van and layout locations.

Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jOJbJo2v_Q

(correction to the video, the condenser is a 16x24 (not 18x22), it is the largest one I could fit in there) Photos of proposed hose/pipe locations in following posts.

There are SO many questions and decisions still to make and instead of having a separate topic on each of them, the intention of this post is to put them all here as suggested by the Mods….Let’s see how it goes.

- Current question:
B) Layout - Could y’all please share your comments and thoughts on things related this proposed layout? I'm wondering if there is anything fundamentally wrong with this layout or if there are things to improve or if its good to go as sketched.

Hose sizes? DetroitAC mentioned the largest possible suction hose, even like 3/4”. The suction hose length will be about 5 feet. Would a size greater than a #10 make a difference on such a short run?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Andy

E) Charging of unknown system – a few recent posts mentioned some techniques. It would be great to get a start-to-finish procedure. Maybe calculating an initial charge by component capacities and the optimizing by plateau or other technique?
H) Evacuation/vacuum at 5,500ft? Nitrogen flush? Since I don’t have a Nitrogen tank, wondering about using Costco tire inflation station which pumps Nitrogen (I’m sure there is at least one thing wrong with that idea and is it better than nothing?)
I) Fittings – Steel or Aluminum? Why is one better than other? Any issues with mixing materials?
J) Bulkhead fitting in body to evaporator or just put fitting through a hole in the metal and secure?

G) Evaporator – 32,000BTU 610 CFM 6-vent “Under dash” unit (UAC UN 0887C) < www. autoacforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=27758#p27758 >
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by bohica2xo »

There ya go Andrew. I got all of your Vanagon threads merged in to a single place. Now you don't have to hunt for them all over the site.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: Specs for Compressor - Calsonic 73111FA132 AND discussion on substitutions for Subaru Ej25/22

Post by Tim »

I can edit the title to represent Andrew's Vanagon project better. Your call, Andrew.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum