1234yf operating pressures

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: 1234yf operating pressures

Post by tbirdtbird »

Tim, if there is enough refrigerant in the system, set up a sprinkler aimed at the condensing unit.
You may have to offer some extra $$ as an incentive
Residential evaps like to leak as much as mobile evaps.
There are mobile complete AC systems available...I have seen them used in restaurants in the summer when the AC conked out. I am just not sure where to source them. But they work well.
I just googled it and a bunch came up...portable AC system
Any chance you can install a couple of window rattlers....bedroom and office?
Good luck
Suggest to everyone to fire up their sniffers and sniff the house vents late in the spring just before AC season starts. If you know the vent closest to the evap, start there.

I like the midnight to 10AM deal
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Tbird:

I just fixed two towable light towers for a local HVAC contractor. He has a dozen or so 22k Btu Denso spot coolers in the warehouse. They started doing the 10pm start for commercial stuff some time ago. When you tell the HOA president he can wait two weeks or we can be there tonight at 1am the rules begin to change.

Really in a town with basically 4 overlapping shifts, you can disturb someone at any time you pick. I had a neighbor that worked 4PM to 4AM 4 days a week down on the Strip.

Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Tim wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 5:55 am Having trouble getting someone to come out and fix my Home ac as well. 99.8 this morning in my office. I had a company put refrigerant n it. Leaked. Then said the coil was bad. 8-week lead time. New system entirely, back-ordered. I calling BS. They don't want to go up in the attic where my coil is at. The second company was supposed to come out yesterday. 4:00 pm, they called and said the worker cut his hand, maybe today.
I've been through "no home AC in Phoenix several times since my family moved there in 1967 when I was 14. First time was over a week as parents were told "part has to come from Tucson" which didn't make a ton of sense as Tucson is tiny compared to Phoenix. So house was over 100F for a week then.

My current home was built in 1979 and purchased by us in 1988. The seller had purchased a 1-year home warranty as part of the sale. Both the condenser fan and later the compressor went bad that first year, 5-ton rooftop heat pump; within a year THAT compressor went out and the warranty company told us their warranty was only 30 days. A different AC repair was called out, and he said the compressor itself was still under a 2-year parts warranty by its serial number, and he swapped in a new one, new refrigerant of course.

When we needed a full new unit later, I was tiling my bathroom, and the kids and us spent the nights at a friend's house.

One time a repairman broke the fuse holder on the side of the heat pump, I was on the roof when he broke that; I asked , and he responded that he would replace that, but when I got home and went on the roof, he simply had put jumper wires where the fuses were. I called that company owner, and told him that every TV station in town would air the story of that safety violation that night, and guess what - they came over promptly and fixed it.

Later on a new heat pump was again installed; one company felt a 4-ton unit would suffice, but 5 other companies and the builder used 5-ton on those models. We decided on a rooftop Trane 5-ton unit, and Trane only offered ONE such unit. But the total price from one company to install the same unit varied by $3000!!!
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

The new home that I built here in Orlando has all of the air handlers inside the living space. No units in the attic. We have what appears to be a closet door where the interior unit is mounted.

My home in Birmingham AL had an attic mounted unit. While it was somewhat easy to get to, it was still a pain to maintain and service due to its location. The first floor unit was in my basement.

Getting those units to be within the living space has made routine maintenance a breeze.
OMW John

Post by OMW John »

Thanks for the input y'all. It's true we've had like 40 consecutive days over 100. Most over 104. I'm seeing above average pressures on several vehicles lately. A mini cooper today was running at 255-275 with a new system just installed. Cooling at 49 degrees from vents so I can't argue with that. That little condenser fan was humming pretty good.