Can I drive on the highway without a condenser fan?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

atikovi
Read the full article

Can I drive on the highway without a condenser fan?

Post by atikovi »

2003 Honda Insight. LSS the condenser fan motor is drawing too much current and blowing the fuse that also feeds the compressor clutch. New parts not available and I have to go on a 2,000 mile round trip drive soon. Can it be driven with the fan disconnected if I only use the a/c above say 50 mph? I can find a used replacement or fab up a universal fan later when I have more time.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Can I drive on the highway without a condenser fan?

Post by bohica2xo »

Wow. A ZE1 still on the road. How many miles do you have on it?

I don't know what Honda used for a compressor on that car, but given the low production numbers and age of the car I think I would treat the rest of the system gently. Since you have no way to watch the high side pressure while driving I think I would just roll the window down.

Take Honda's hint with the blown fuse and fix it right.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

On a 20-year-old vehicle, there might be other things wrong with the system than just the fan. Rather than risk no A/C on a very long trip, why not visit your local car-rental agency and rent a vehicle from them? Then worry about fixing the '03 Honda Insight when you return.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Excellent idea, John. Could save the lad a lot of walking
Also, without a condenser fan, your pressures will skyrocket at stop lights and stop signs, and in traffic. You are gonna trigger the HPCO or blow a hose.
You've been here before, you already knew the answer
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

JohnHere wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:33 pm On a 20-year-old vehicle, there might be other things wrong with the system than just the fan. Rather than risk no A/C on a very long trip, why not visit your local car-rental agency and rent a vehicle from them? Then worry about fixing the '03 Honda Insight when you return.
That defeats the whole purpose of the car. I'm driving to pick up a part and expect to spend around $100 on gas. If I rent something, the gas bill probably doubles, plus the cost of the rental, and I'm likely at $350. Might as well ship it.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

tbirdtbird wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:59 pm Excellent idea, John. Could save the lad a lot of walking
Also, without a condenser fan, your pressures will skyrocket at stop lights and stop signs, and in traffic. You are gonna trigger the HPCO or blow a hose.
You've been here before, you already knew the answer
I did post,
atikovi wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 12:22 pm Can it be driven with the fan disconnected if I only use the a/c above say 50 mph? I can find a used replacement or fab up a universal fan later when I have more time.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

$100 on gas for a 2K mile trip.....remarkable
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I assume that the part you wish to drive 2K miles for is NOT for the fan for the 2003 Honda???

By the way: folks do add aftermarket fans to their vehicles, I'm not sure why a mechanic or you couldn't add a complete new fan and control to your Honda.
atikovi

Post by atikovi »

Correct. And I'd rather keep it original with a used oem fan if possible instead of making something fit.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

Okay...renting a vehicle is out of the question, and originality is important in this instance. But a used OEM fan from a salvage yard or auction site can be "iffy" as well.

Perhaps check around for a reproduction of the original fan. Everything will line up (at least it should), it'll look original, and it'll be a completely new unit, giving you peace of mind.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.