Orifice tube sizing

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Tim
Site Admin
Read the full article

Re: Orifice tube sizing

Post by Tim »

Besides sling oil all over the place, the hub burns up every other year, bearing burns up every three years. Yea, they pump a lot of refrigerant. Maybe a TM21 or Sd7 series if one planned on swapping out the A6. I think Brad suggests a TM21, but I could be wrong.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

Whatever everyone feels is best for them.

I have an original 1978 Chevrolet Corvette with an A6 compressor, original to the vehicle. Yes, I do see some oil slung out, but it works and cools just fine.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

LOL @ Tim

Yeah, anything that has been rebuilt several times tends to start to act that way. And of course the A6 clutch was never meant for CCOT operation...

The TM21 can produce the same refrigerant flow as an A6, and is a good choice for a replacement. But there are no off the shelf conversion brackets. It will support the dual V belt drive used by some A6 installations.

The Sanden 6674 comes close. With the 122mm pulley it spins up better, but it is only a single V belt groove.

I guess whoever made the "conversion" the OP has, does not know why there is a screen on the discharge side of a commercial OT. Or why we use interchangeable orifices .
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 5:47 am LOL @ Tim
I guess whoever made the "conversion" the OP has, does not know why there is a screen on the discharge side of a commercial OT. Or why we use interchangeable orifices .
The "New" A6 is better with oil sling. Also, give them credit that the clutch assembly was pretty much rebuildable with a bearing and hub.

14-SD4530NC

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

A brand new A6 would be good. Like I said, multiple rebuilds begin to act up.

Yep, that is the small pulley 5 cylinder Sanden. Usually good for 250k miles in a Freightliner.

I know they made it with the 7 cylinder compressor, have to find my notes.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

bohica2xo wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 6:56 am A brand new A6 would be good. Like I said, multiple rebuilds begin to act up.

Yep, that is the small pulley 5 cylinder Sanden. Usually good for 250k miles in a Freightliner.

I know they made it with the 7 cylinder compressor, have to find my notes.

New Alma 14-22250NC

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

We still don't know what Sanden the poster is using. Trying to remember back, but I do believe some company or person had made brackets for an SD505.

Help Support the Forum
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Well, given the obvious quality of a drilled hole for an expansion device...

Really we are adding compressor information while we wait for more info from the OP. I see threads like this revived months later when someone else experiences the same thing.

tony1963

Post by tony1963 »

I once had a late 80s era Cadillac that was ultra clean but the AC was inop. Looking over the vehicle, it had been retrofit to R134a and had some type of adapter in the liquid line before the evaporator. We removed the adapter and it was only an aluminum pipe with a restriction about the size of the orifice tube opening without the orifice tube.

We removed that item, flushed the system, installed a new drier, o rings and the proper orifice tube. It cooled very well.

I guess the adapter was a fixed restriction without using the orifice tube.
wschimberg

Post by wschimberg »

First its a 1970 Cadillac with an evoporator out of a 75 that had a the vir. The compressor is a sd5h14, so it is 140cc. Much smaller than the A6. I stepped down the office size and the suction side no longer was colder the further down the pipe you went, I might have gone too small though. I have had people tell me if I'm already building a custom system I should use a txv valve. I also might being battling charge issues too, idk what pressures I should be looking for.