Leak

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tnfarmboy
Read the full article

Re: Leak

Post by tnfarmboy »

Well I found a kit with a fatter o-ring at NAPA and some sealer called “Leak Lock” at an HVAC store. When I took it apart the line broke. I called Nissan, I can get a new line for $250. If it’s even possible to install, it would take a lot of patience and maybe some luck. It goes up and thru the bulkhead, across the condenser, back into the engine bay, down to the frame rail, back close to the firewall and up again to the evaporator...one piece. The replacement may have a splice I don’t know. Is that the only alternative? Seems to me there’s got to be another way. Are there not hose ends where you could make a new line using high pressure steel braided flexible hose?
Attachments
B2.jpg
B2.jpg (241.32 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
B3.jpg
B3.jpg (94.22 KiB) Viewed 2382 times
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Can Tim at ackits provide a new line? Call and ask. If not, one could try RockAuto or elsewhere $250 sounds REAL high, I wouldn't pay that !!!

Like I said: even though I also have a 2004 Frontier with same engine as you, I've only replaced an AC line on my 1998 Frontier with same engine, which uses same compressor but a different lines. If you want, this afternoon I can take a good look at my 2004 and give my insights on how difficult that would be to replace.

Your existing/now broken line had damage there, likely the cause of your leak, or would not have broken.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

That's a difficult problem, and IMHO, a rather poor design to begin with.

The way I envision making the repair has only two alternatives: Either find someone who is very good at TIG welding and have the end with the o-ring carefully welded back onto the tube, or replace the entire line with a new one.

Cusser has the same vehicle. Let's wait for him to come back with his assessment before considering line replacement and whether he thinks replacing it is even possible.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

tnfarmboy wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 6:43 pm When I took it apart the line broke. I called Nissan, I can get a new line for $250. If it’s even possible to install, it would take a lot of patience and maybe some luck. It goes up and thru the bulkhead, across the condenser, back into the engine bay, down to the frame rail, back close to the firewall and up again to the evaporator...one piece.
OK, I'm glad I can finally help the experts here because I believe I have the same truck (or quite similar). I have a 2004 Frontier 2.4 liter engine, 5-speed.

tnfarmboy - I feel that you are mistaken about your statement that I highlighted in red above. Replacement of the high pressure line from compressor to condenser does NOT involve that line across the top of the condenser at all. The fitting at the condenser end is "notched" at its bottom so just slips over the fitting that ends up going across the top of the condenser, so THAT horizontal tube does not get removed at all. The replacement line also shows that notch at that end of the fitting at the condenser, and attaches to the condenser with one bolt. The air duct (orange line) should be removed for better access by first removing two nuts with a 10mm socket (one shown, yellow circle)

The notched fitting at the condenser can be seen here, see red arrow, so the lower line just stays in place.

The fitting at the compressor is a little more straightforward to access, also one bolt.

It looks to me like the Nissan part number may be 92490-1Z600 which I see under $90 at an online Nissan parts dealer (plus shipping) - so do NOT pay $250 !!!. But aftermarket part is available as well for less, call Tim and ask. So I hope this helps.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Definitely call and check with Tim. He has more parts available than he has on his website catalogue
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
tnfarmboy

Post by tnfarmboy »

Mine is a 3.3 5 speed. I called ackits, he said he don't have it and can't make one. I'm going to call a local guy that makes hydraulic lines and see if he can do something. If that don't work out I'll see if I can get the old one out and back in. If so, I'll fork over the $250
Attachments
E1.jpg
E1.jpg (194.95 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
E2.jpg
E2.jpg (191.75 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
E3.jpg
E3.jpg (226.83 KiB) Viewed 2355 times
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:48 pm It looks to me like the Nissan part number may be 92490-1Z600 which I see under $90 at an online Nissan parts dealer (plus shipping) - so do NOT pay $250 !!!. But aftermarket part is available as well for less, call Tim and ask. So I hope this helps.
tnfarmboy wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:16 pm Mine is a 3.3 5 speed. I called ackits, he said he don't have it and can't make one. I'm going to call a local guy that makes hydraulic lines and see if he can do something. If that don't work out I'll see if I can get the old one out and back in. If so, I'll fork over the $250
Oh, now you tell us: a 3.3 V6 engine. That looks like Nissan #92490-1Z610 Also under $90 at an online Nissan parts dealer (plus shipping). I see aftermarket for the 2004 VG33 V6 engine as low as $26.21 (with 54 available !!!) So if you pay $250, then that's YOUR problem !!!!

The fitting has a notch at the condenser for the V6 engine as well.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Is this the line you called about today? I was under the impression it was an all-alum.

This fits the 4cyl.

57-10695
57-10695.jpg
57-10695.jpg (29.64 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

V6 Engine.

57-11471
57-11471.jpg
57-11471.jpg (27.89 KiB) Viewed 2350 times

Help Support the Forum
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Is he looking for a discharge line? I had comp to evap.

Discharge Line 3.3L

57-0246

Help Support the Forum