how to remove the AC clutch in a junkyard with no battery power?

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

jaymerjaymer
Read the full article

how to remove the AC clutch in a junkyard with no battery power?

Post by jaymerjaymer »

normally, you can apply power to engage magnet - then remove the bolt holding the clutch on.

whats the best way when you have NO POWER to keep the clutch/AC shaft from spinning while you try to break loose the bolt?
I don't want to damage the clutch grabbing/smashing it to the pully with vise grips/channel locks (unless thats the preferred way).

thx
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: how to remove the AC clutch in a junkyard with no battery power?

Post by JohnHere »

A couple of methods occur to me: Bring a 12-volt automotive or riding lawn mower battery with you to the yard, along with two wires having appropriately sized alligator clips on each end, and use them to energize the clutch; or, bring a cordless impact tool (3/8" or 1/2") with the correct-size impact socket and spin-off the bolt.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I remember getting a loaner clutch holder tool from Autozone a few years ago when I needed to remove a shim from my 1998 Frontier AC clutch. Unfortunately, that didn't fit mine. https://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/l ... 150540_0_0
This is a free loaner, or can buy for $20.

What about a rubber strap wrench?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

(speaking of adjusting) Are you sure you don't just have to remove shims as needed to adjust the air gap?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

tbirdtbird wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:05 am (speaking of adjusting) Are you sure you don't just have to remove shims as needed to adjust the air gap?
Doing just that on my 1998 Frontier fixed its AC about 3 years ago, I removed the thinner of its two shims !!!! I did this without even taking the belt off the AC clutch. I did have to purchase three 5mm hex head screws to extract the clutch drive plate though.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Sometimes it helps to let people know what you're working on. I could type pages of different procedures for different compressors.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum