Vacuum pump vapour

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Jaz
Read the full article

Vacuum pump vapour

Post by Jaz »

Newbie question, I have a second hand Yellow Jacket vacuum pump which seems to work well, I drained and refilled the oil but when I used it there was vapour coming from the breather on the top.
Is this normal, is there a problem with the pump or is it showing there was a lot of water in the system being vacuumed.

The car was my own classic which had an R134a conversion 8 years ago and as the a/c was gradually getting worse I decided to fit a new dryer and refill with the correct weight of gas. The system is now operating great but I just wanted to know what the vapour was.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Vacuum pump vapour

Post by Cusser »

Jaz wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:45 am I drained and refilled the oil but when I used it there was vapour coming from the breather on the top.
My guess is that the visible vapor was some mist from the vacuum pump oil.

My primary vacuum pump was given to me when the R&D of our sister company was moving to another state. I was told that the vacuum pump smoked, and I told them I wouldn't be using it inside. Anyway, hasn't smoked when I use it, and I've been happy with it even though it is somewhat heavy to carry.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Overfilled?
There is a sight glass with a mark.
Correct type of oil?
Vacuum pump oil is especially for vacuum pumps only

Google search your exact make/model and see what you come up with
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Jaz

Post by Jaz »

Its a Yellow Jacket pump and I bought Yellow Jacket oil and drained the pump and filled to the line on the sight glass.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Then I would not worry about it.
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com