Strange problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

DetroitAC
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Strange problem

Post by DetroitAC »

Alfalfa,
I think bohica2xo has called it right, I think you have a defective condenser. It sounds to me like you live in Florida or somewhere else high humdity. You charged it up and a lot of the refrigerant was able to move to the (HUGE !!) condenser headers. You started it and there is a restriction in the condenser blocking most or maybe all of the flow, low side pulled to a very low pressure while you were messing around with cans of refrigerant. Condenser iced up, fed a constant supply of moist air by the gulf of Mexico. Vehicle shut off the compressor on low pressure, fault triggered, clutch will not re-engage because of a protection strategy to save your compressor since the vehicle believes you have lost your refrigerant.

All of this assumes two of your buddies are not standing there with giant glasses of iced tea watching you do this, and they giggle each time you scratch your head? And they keep getting more iced tea, man are they thirsty or what?

Seriously, I'd recover the refigerant (or have it recovered at a shop), undo the connections to the condenser. Maybe there is a dust cap that was shoved all the way into the inlet port? Maybe it's just a mis-built part, there are baffles inserted to create the circuiting, sometimes baffles with a hole, sometimes solid baffles, maybe a solid baffle was used where a baffle with a hole should have been used? Try blowing through it with something, maybe dry, oil free compressed air if you have that?