Strange problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Strange problem

Post by tbirdtbird »

We are here to help

The problem with flushing to me is getting the correct type and then getting it all out! The flush in the parts stores is crap
Tim has flush at ackits.com
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

There are 46 pages to this forum. Suggest you start at the beginning and read every single thread and post, you will learn a lot.
Better than utube, which is not always right
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

I will do that.
As far as flush, the first can I got was the cheapest stuff AutoZone sold. I blew out a line or two, and it seemed oily, not alchol based. I stopped, read more, and ended up buying the Four SeasonsTemp product, which evaporated much faster. I couldn't afford to buy a gallon of their DuraFlush, but figured that I would do a good job of flushing followed by extensive air blasting and drying.
Thanks again
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

alfalfa4381 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:31 am Ok, so from reading your replies I guess I look like a. idiot.
Not at all. Every question is a great question. And you're among friends here.

I can't imagine that anything related to the A/C system is causing the "dripping wet condenser" phenomenon, especially since you let it set overnight with the engine off, the compressor off, and yet the condenser is still wet. I, too, suspect that some kind of "outside influence" might be in play here.

As for the oil, your van takes 10.1 ounces of PAG-46. I would have distributed it as follows: 5.1 ounces to the compressor, 1.5 ounces each to the condenser and to both evaporators, and 0.5-ounce to the R/D.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

John, would you suggest he remove the drier and dump the oil out?
Or wait to see what the trouble code is
Dave
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Well, if HALF of the condenser is actually getting cold enough to condense water, I think we can say that something in the condenser is acting as an expansion device...
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

tbirdtbird wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:07 pm John, would you suggest he remove the drier and dump the oil out?
Or wait to see what the trouble code is
Dave
The OP's scan tool is arriving sometime tomorrow, and I agree with your earlier comment. I would pull codes first, see what we have (if anything), and then address the oil issue.

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Well I got the OB2 reader, there were two faults, but related only to intake and mass air flow. I cleared the codes, hooked up the air intake sensor and a vacuum hose that was loose, and now no codes are being reported.
I expected to see sensors in the app's sensor list for HVAC low pressure sensor, front cooling fans, etc., but I don't see where my van is reporting that they are present. My reader is a Bluetooth and I opted for OBD Auto Doctor, and I got the paid version in order to get the advanced features. I need to dig into the app to learn it's capabilities.
So, before I can worry about the AC components, I need to troubleshoot why the compressor clutch is not getting power.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

So what was the high side pressure while it was running?

I see no pressure readings anywhere here except a static 95psi
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I, too, wondered about the pressures.
alfalfa4381 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:17 pm So, before I can worry about the AC components, I need to troubleshoot why the compressor clutch is not getting power.
Your van probably has a low-voltage transducer located somewhere on the A/C system's lines. If it "sees" pressures that are either too high or low, it signals the ECM to cut power to the compressor's clutch. Sometimes, a transducer is a one-time device. In other words, like a fuse, once it opens, it stays open. The only way to get the circuit working again is to replace it. In other applications, it acts as a switch. Once pressures return to normal, it closes again. I'm not sure what your vehicle might have, but it's something to consider.

The excess oil in the R/D could have caused out-of-spec pressures.