Strange problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

alfalfa4381
Read the full article

Strange problem

Post by alfalfa4381 »

I am new to this forum, and glad I found it. I have a problem that I can't figure out. First let me say, I am 68 yrs old, and have always done my own mechanical work, from engine rebuilds to front end, glass work, paint and body, etc. I studied AC back in the 70s using r12. Recently I have a renewed interest in really learning as much as I can. Last year I started by getting EPA certification, and watching videos and reading all I can.
With that being said, I got a 2004 Dodge Caravan 3.8L SVT with rear air. I am doing my first auto AC complete rebuild. I got a Four Seasons Compressor kit with both Evaporator valves, drier, etc. I bought a new condenser, and liquid line. I took the rear unit out, and flushed all other lines and the evaporators using Four Seasons flush with a flush gun. Due to the long lines going back to the rear, I used about 4 quarts of flush. According to Four Seasons when I called their tech support, I should divide the PAG 46 half in the compressor and dump the other half in the drier, so I made sure the system had 10.1 oz og PAG, 5oz in the compressor (which includes the factory pre-charge). I also bought the FS Deslugger for the compressor. After assembling I pulled a vacuum for 1.5 hours, and let it sit for two days because I had other stuff to tend to. It held the vacuum with no loss.
So, yesterday I vacuumed another hour and a half, then let it sit 20 minutes, and then let the vacuum suck the first two cans of refridgerant through the low side with can in upright position. That went well. Then I started the van, and commenced to put in the rest of the charge, which the decal under the hood called for 2.69 lbs, which is about 3.5 12oz cans. The clutch engaged, I almost got the 3rd can added, then the clutch cut off and the engine light came on. I noticed that water was running out of the condenser like crazy.
I decided to troubleshoot some, so I found the fuse for the clutch and the relay are fine. I bypassed the Deslugger just to take it out of the equation. I started the van and still no clutch, and the engine light was still lit. I checked the pressures and it showed static of about 95 on both high and low, so the charge is still present. BUT, as the engine was running, with no compressor pumping, the condenser started dumping water like crazy.
Ok, so now I am waiting for my code reader that I ordered from Amazon to come in, I've needed to own one of these anyway
Now today I did not run the van at all, and the condenser is saturated. With no bumper and grill on the front I can lay my hand on it and my hand gets soaking wet. It was a sunny 80 degree day with the condenser exposed to the sun most of the day.
Did the condenser freeze yesterday and still not thawed? What can I learn from this?
Sorry for the lengthy post, and THANK YOU for your input!
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: Strange problem

Post by tbirdtbird »

"BUT, as the engine was running, with no compressor pumping, the condenser started dumping water like crazy."

Are you sure this is condensation water and not something leaking from the cooling system?
5 oz of oil is a LOT to put in a drier, wonder if this is acting like a blockage thus making the condenser into an expansion device. I can't believe I am even writing this.
I would have distributed the other 5 oz equally amongst the remaining system components
A bigger mystery is what does the engine's check engine light have to do with the AC system, anyway. Something is fishy.

Another point of technicality is most here will drain the new compressor of whatever is in it, and then measure in fresh PAG. You don't know who put what in the compressor regardless of what they tell you. Sometimes the factory didn't put in anything

Don't try to run the comp until you get more feedback from the sharpshooters here.
Is the check engine light still on?
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

I did drain the factory oil, and discarded it and installed 5 oz of FS brand oil in the compressor, and the other in the drier. That's why I called Four Seasons tech support, I saw varying info about putting oil in the various components. I specifically asked that question, and told him it required 10 oz for a dual unit, and he still said put it in the drier.
I pulled the battery cable overnight thinking maybe the PCM would reset, but the engine light is still on. I also made sure the compressor was free by spinning the clutch by hand. There is no power to the clutch now. When I get my code reader on Tue I expect to see a fault related to the AC.
No. it's not engine coolant, clear odor free water. Also with the grill and bumper removed I can see the space between the radiator and condenser. That soaking wet condenser is baffling. Just half of it is actually wet, the side where the lines connect. Thanks!
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

I had to Google FS Deslugger, thought this thread was a late April fool's joke... I would guess This gizmo is why you are getting a fault code, but did you wire this on before the vehicle relay or after?

First I've heard that something like this gizmo exists. OEMs do this sort of strategy with clutches themselves, each OEM calls it a different acronym. I know for a fact Chrysler was pretty good at these algorithms in the early 2000s.

Regarding the wet condenser, when you say condenser do you mean evaporator? Where in the car is this wet thing?
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

The condenser, in front of the radiator.
The Deslugger plugs into the compressor, the other side of the Deslugger plugs into the wiring harness plug that used to plug into the compresser.
To troubleshoot I removed the Deslugger, but the problem still exists.
Four Seasons will not honor the warranty without the Deslugger installed on a low hanging compressor.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

" I specifically asked that question, and told him it required 10 oz for a dual unit, and he still said put it in the drier. "
I wouldn't put 5 oz of oil in a drier even it the drier belonged to that Four Seasons tech

Detroit, this thread may still be what you thought it was.....
or somebody's playing a joke on him and hosing the condenser down when he is not looking.....
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
B52bombardier1

Post by B52bombardier1 »

The check engine light should have an associated trouble code with it. What is that DTC code?

Rick
1970 Chevrolet El Camino 5.3 L LM7 Truck Engine & 4L60E Transmission
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Ok, so from reading your replies I guess I look like a. idiot. I honestly tried to Google how to properly add oil to an automobile dual AC system. I would guess I spent a few hours over a week period doing that, watching videos, etc., but all I saw was a couple of videos where I saw someone add a little oil to the drier and evap in a small car system. So, I found the Four Seasons phone number and called their tech support, thinking that I would get the definitive answer straight from the horses mouth. I wish I had found this forum beforehand.
Ok, so now what? I'm thinking first I will call Four Seasons tech support and ask why they advised this, so they will know I expect them to replace the compressor if it was damaged. Then, I would evac and install a new drier. I would take the lines off the condenser and see if the ports appear to have excessive oil, if so then I think I have a bigger problem. When charging the system the other day I noticed that the rear AC was blowing cool air, but the front was blowing hot. I had thoroughly flushed the evap, so there was no blockage. So, I am afraid that the excessive oil in the drier caused the new x valve to clog, some refridgerant made it's way all the way to the rear unit. So, maybe this blockage caused excessive pressure at the drier and therefore a blowback of oil from the compressor into the condenser. Does this theory make any sense at all for this scenario? I hate the thought, because if any of this is true, I have to dissasemble everything and flush, else I will have no way to tell how much oil to add.
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

Before you do anything to the AC system, wait until you can get a trouble code and its meaning. Then wait for more experts here to chime in. You may not have to do anything you said

Tell your jokester neighbors to put the garden hose away

And BTW now you know why we contend on here that MVAC is not as easy as ppl think it is

We sure hope you got all that flush out of there.....I do everything I can to avoid using it
alfalfa4381

Post by alfalfa4381 »

Great advice, thanks a lot for bothering at all!
In view of all the flushing videos and info I found on the net, I was totally surprised to read your comment about flush. I see there is a forum for that subject on this site, I am anxious to read the posts!
My code reader comes tomorrow.