70 chevelle ac

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Seanrice
Read the full article

70 chevelle ac

Post by Seanrice »

Hey everyone
I have a 70 chevelle and am restoring the car

Motor is out right now and have all parts to restore the ac

I ordered the following from original air
Rebuilt A6 compressor
Restored POA valve
New evaporator
New dryer
New condenser

I hope their stuff is good quality

All my old parts were there and appeared to be in good condition but did not want to chance

I have r12 (5 12 ounce cans

Any advice on re assembling these parts,is there a good reference manual for this

I also have a gm expansion valve that as far as I know has been tested ,the tape and clamps to connect to the evaporator

I have never worked on ac and want to replace all parts,get my motor back in and have someone charge

Any advice would be appreciated

Thank you
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: 70 chevelle ac

Post by tbirdtbird »

"is there a good reference manual for this"
Per se, no. It takes years to master.
One of the best ways to bone up on MVAC is to go back to the very beginning of this forum and step thru every thread and post, and you will learn a lot.
OR
let a shop do the entire thing that way you have a warranty
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Your supplier seems to offer support or at least has a page to fill out for requesting support.

Then there are the 50 or so links to repair manuals online.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Seanrice

Post by Seanrice »

I would love to have the shop do the whole thing and may do that

1 thing I would like to do while the engine is out is the evaporator

Can anyone offer any advice on doing that,also mating the expansion valve to the evaporator

Thanks
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Seanrice

Post by Seanrice »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:28 pm Good place to start:

https://www.autoacforum.com/viewtopic.p ... poa#p17957

Thanks for the link
Very good read
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Outside of the basics like a little lubricant on the fitting threads, cleanliness etc, most of it is basic mechanical work.

You have chosen R12 as a refrigerant, so there is no need to recalibrate the POA valve. Use mineral oil, check the oil in the compressor sump.

I would drain the compressor sump and refill it with the oil you intend to use in the system. Rebuilt or new compressors could have anything (or nothing) in them from the vendor.

Lubricate any O rings with the refrigerant oil you will be using in the system. A drop or two of the same oil on the fitting threads may save you some trouble later.
Seanrice

Post by Seanrice »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:49 pm Outside of the basics like a little lubricant on the fitting threads, cleanliness etc, most of it is basic mechanical work.

You have chosen R12 as a refrigerant, so there is no need to recalibrate the POA valve. Use mineral oil, check the oil in the compressor sump.

I would drain the compressor sump and refill it with the oil you intend to use in the system. Rebuilt or new compressors could have anything (or nothing) in them from the vendor.

Lubricate any O rings with the refrigerant oil you will be using in the system. A drop or two of the same oil on the fitting threads may save you some trouble later.

Thanks for the input
I am confidant I can handle the work

Thank you
70monte

Post by 70monte »

I will be interested in how this turns out. I have a 70 Monte Carlo which has the same AC system that I need to get working. Years ago I bought a new compressor, condenser, accumulator and some other parts but never installed any of it. All of the original AC stuff is still installed as well.