1975 Corvette AC Recharge

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Inca32
Read the full article

1975 Corvette AC Recharge

Post by Inca32 »

Just replaced the original AC Condenser becsuse of small leak found when I was restoring the engine compartment. I purchased the car year ago and used the AC last summer with good results. Previous owner had a an Old AIr Products compressor installed and quick connect 134 fittings on the high pressure side (red cap) and (blue cap) on the hose block on back of the compressor. Their is a valve (black cap) on the VIR which has no clearance between it and heater box to attach hose.
My question is can I the low pressure gage to back of the compressor (blue cap) and the high pressure gage (red cap) to the high pressure line on the sight block line to run a vacuum test for leaks and then later to recharge with 134a ?
Every thing I have read says you need to connect on the low pressure fitting (black cap) on the VIR which is next to impossible. My guess is that it has been charged from the back of the compressor.

Any help on what I need to do would be appreciated.
Tim
Site Admin

Re: 1975 Corvette AC Recharge

Post by Tim »

You can attached to the Blue and Red to pump the system down.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
Inca32

Post by Inca32 »

Can I recharge threw the blue port also?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

You can access the low side just about anywhere. Be advised, R134a in Corvettes has not been the best choice of refrigerant.
rattrapsc

Post by rattrapsc »

If you decide to charge thru the connection on the compressor, be careful not to invert the can excessively. You could end up dumping liquid into the compressor.
Inca32

Post by Inca32 »

Thanks all for your help!