1997 Sebring 2.5L A/C warm (details inside)

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

sgreiner1011
Read the full article

Re: 1997 Sebring 2.5L A/C warm (details inside)

Post by sgreiner1011 »

Its a JX.... I borrowed my friends recovery machine and I evacuated it and there was only like 300 grams in the system that holds 800 grams. The system does not hold a vacuum so there is a leak somewhere. A small one.

But anyway, I tried to fill it back up, and when I got to about 500 grams, the compressor didn't seem to want to turn anymore. I could smell the belt burning, and the clutch wasn't turning as fast as usual. I immediately stopped and let some pressure out and then the clutch seemed ok. The low side is riding at about 50psi and the high side is about 250psi (Its 100 degrees here in phoenix). Its blowing colder but in my opinion could be better. Why would a compressor not want to turn anymore? Could it be because the expansion valve is stuck closed (or close to closed)?

So my issue could be 2 fold. Bad expansion valve along with a small leak somewhere. I think the Schrader valve on the low side is where the leak is because after I pop the low gauge off, I can hear it hiss. And it wont stop until I tighten it with a very small pair of needle nose pliers.

If I do nothing about this, I do realize I will still have to revisit this soon because of the leak. I will post back once I work on it again and probably be replacing the expansion valve and low side Schrader valve.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote:
sgreiner1011 wrote:There are no leaks.
Hmmm - "famous last words". 175 is low for high side pressure measured at 1800 rpm, you should next have the refrigerant pulled out and weighed, I suspect a leak. Leaks can even occur from bad service valve caps.
sgreiner1011 wrote:Its a JX.... I borrowed my friends recovery machine and I evacuated it and there was only like 300 grams in the system that holds 800 grams. The system does not hold a vacuum so there is a leak somewhere. A small one.

So my issue could be 2 fold. Bad expansion valve along with a small leak somewhere. I think the Schrader valve on the low side is where the leak is because after I pop the low gauge off, I can hear it hiss. And it wont stop until I tighten it with a very small pair of needle nose pliers. If I do nothing about this, I do realize I will still have to revisit this soon because of the leak. I will post back once I work on it again and probably be replacing the expansion valve and low side Schrader valve.
Aha !!! I posted on Aug. 18th above that I thought you had a refrigerant leak. And 800 grams down to 300 grams is not a trifle ! But you may have more than one; a good cap should suffice to seal the service valve.
sgreiner1011

Post by sgreiner1011 »

Its a JX.... I borrowed my friends recovery machine and I evacuated it and there was only like 300 grams in the system that holds 800 grams. The system does not hold a vacuum so there is a leak somewhere. A small one.

So my issue could be 2 fold. Bad expansion valve along with a small leak somewhere. I think the Schrader valve on the low side is where the leak is because after I pop the low gauge off, I can hear it hiss. And it wont stop until I tighten it with a very small pair of needle nose pliers. If I do nothing about this, I do realize I will still have to revisit this soon because of the leak. I will post back once I work on it again and probably be replacing the expansion valve and low side Schrader valve.

Aha !!! I posted on Aug. 18th above that I thought you had a refrigerant leak. And 800 grams down to 300 grams is not a trifle ! But you may have more than one; a good cap should suffice to seal the service valve.
Yup good call man! But still, I am wondering why the compressor would overload when I only put in 500 grams? Maybe a stuck expansion valve?