Retro Kit Valve

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

robmaxfli
Read the full article

Retro Kit Valve

Post by robmaxfli »

I installed the retro kit screw on my low and high valves to my old R12 system - even though I am keeping the car an R12 car. The reason I have them installed is so my loaner gauges will work (r134 fittings).

Question for the Low side valve: Can I leave my lower/original Schrader valve installed and then install the retro valve on top of it? (or do I have to remove the original Schrader valve prior to installing the new valve on top?)

thanks!
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Retro Kit Valve

Post by Cusser »

robmaxfli wrote:I installed the retro kit screw on my low and high valves to my old R12 system - even though I am keeping the car an R12 car. The reason I have them installed is so my loaner gauges will work (r134 fittings).
I would suggest to buy adapter hoses/fittings so the R134a service gauge hoses will fit on the R-12 service valves.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Retro Kit Valve

Post by Cusser »

Cusser wrote:
robmaxfli wrote:I installed the retro kit screw on my low and high valves to my old R12 system - even though I am keeping the car an R12 car. The reason I have them installed is so my loaner gauges will work (r134 fittings).
I would suggest to buy adapter hoses/fittings so the R134a service gauge hoses will fit on the R-12 service valves.

I changed my mind: just buy a complete R-12 service gauge kit from an Ebay supplier, under $25 shipped.