Help trying to figure out this AC problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

austinexs
Read the full article

Help trying to figure out this AC problem

Post by austinexs »

OK. I'll make this short or try too....
I have a 2007 Honda Fit and have owned it since it was brand new. During the last half of 2015 I noticed it wouldn't cool very well when I slowed down under highway speeds. Fast forward to spring 16' I found the condenser fan was not working at all so I replaced it and it works but still seemed like if I slowed down or stopped for to long it would over heat. So I checked the pressures (can't remember now) but it was good according to what my car specs are.
So I drove it all summer last year with coming on sometimes (even while stuck in horrible traffic) and then it would shut off while I was driving on the highway. Then I figured out if I left one of the windows down a few inches that it would work great. I mean really good like blowing air out around 36 degrees. Fast forward to the end of 16 and it worked less and less. I've seen it go a month now this year when it never comes on at all and I figured the compressor had died. Nope it comes on and goes off. Sometimes for as little as 20 seconds, sometimes for around 5 mins and again sometimes it doesn't come on at all. Also I noticed this morning it stayed on nearly the entire trip (took 20 mins to cool) but it stays on if I keep it around 2,300 rpms. Any thing below or above and it kicked off. I drive two hours to work and two hours home and I live in Texas so it gets hot enough to cook my dinner in my car. I have 209,000 miles on this car and it rocks as nothing as ever gone out except the condenser fan (and of course whatever is wrong with the rest of the AC).
So does anyone have any ideas what it could be? I've replaced a few of the relays and that didn't help but the fact that it will work sometimes when I'm sitting and other times while I driving and other times if I have my windows down. It seems to be all over the place. I have way to many miles on this car to spend a ton of money as it isn't worth anything other than getting me to work and back.
Thanks!
Last edited by austinexs on Thu May 18, 2017 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Re: Going to die this summer....

Post by bohica2xo »

Adjust the compressor clutch gap.

Just a case of removing the driven plate & removing a shim or two.
austinexs

Re: Going to die this summer....

Post by austinexs »

bohica2xo wrote:Adjust the compressor clutch gap.

Just a case of removing the driven plate & removing a shim or two.
I will give that a try thanks!!