Manifold high and low side vacuum PLEASE HELP!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Notnilc20
Read the full article

Manifold high and low side vacuum PLEASE HELP!

Post by Notnilc20 »

Hi all i'm attempting to put in a ac system on a 1986 Toyota corolla gts. When running a vacuum and checking to see if the car will hold a vacuum do you open both high and low sides while running vacuum and then close both sides to check if it will hold a vacuum?

The first time i only had the low side port connected....i didn't even hook up the high side hose. I drew a vacuum for about 10 mins and the gauge read 27 then after 3 hours it read 24.

Then after watching some youtube vids I currently have vacuumed for 20 mins on both high and low side and have both high and low side holding vacuum. Now the low side is at 29 and The high side gauge didn't have a vacuum gauge side but the needle did get sucked back to below zero and is pinned to the, for lack of better term, pin. Will update after results tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by Notnilc20 on Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Manifold high and low side vacuum

Post by Cusser »

Yes, should open both low and high side service gauge valves while pulling your vacuum.

And - of course - any loss of vacuum means one should check all gauge connections for leaks too.

When you add refrigerant initially after the vacuum has held, you can add as a liquid though both sides as the engine will be off. Then you close the high side valve, then you start up the engine and AC to add the remainder.

I know you already know to purge the air out of your lines with a little refrigerant.
Notnilc20

Post by Notnilc20 »

Cusser wrote:Yes, should open both low and high side service gauge valves while pulling your vacuum.

And - of course - any loss of vacuum means one should check all gauge connections for leaks too.

When you add refrigerant initially after the vacuum has held, you can add as a liquid though both sides as the engine will be off. Then you close the high side valve, then you start up the engine and AC to add the remainder.

I know you already know to purge the air out of your lines with a little refrigerant.

Thanks Cusser,

Ok I let the vacuum hold until morning.....a good 9 hours....and the gauge shows still 29 vacuum on the low side....didn't move a bit. However on the high side gauge last night the needle was up against the pin but this morning it had moved slightly off the pin......does this mean I have a leak somewhere? Even though the low side stayed perfect? Thanks.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Manifold high and low side vacuum PLEASE HELP!

Post by Cusser »

You should be fine.
Notnilc20

Post by Notnilc20 »

Cusser wrote:You should be fine.
Thanks again!
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Cusser wrote:..................................

Hi,
I'm a newbee here & appreciate if you could explain on, how to do this.
I thought once you start vacuuming everything is drawn out except PAG oil already in the system.

thanks in advance
Notnilc20

Post by Notnilc20 »

Remember vacuuming the system is not the same as evacuating the r134 in a system....if you had a leak or replaced a component of the system then you had to evacuate the refrigerant in your system....the reason for vacuuming the system is after you have repaired the system and it is sealed....you put a vacuum on the system in order to take out any moisture in the system that got in there while the system was opened to the atmosphere. Then if your system can hold a vacuum without leaking.....then you know it will be ready to charge with the refrigerant.

The purge is a schrader valve on the ac service manifold that when after you connect your refeigerant to the manifold service line you press the schrader valve until refrigerant comes out of the valve....this ensures you will not put air back into your ac system. Then you follow your fill procedures after your purge. Here is a helpful video that explains the steps pretty well.
https://youtu.be/Pdq8JAlct6s

I said "system" a lot didnt I? :)

Good luck.
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

That you tube video has some bad info. Most gauge sets do not have a schrader at the yellow hose for purging. You would crack it loose to purge the hose. Also, put the blower on high speed not low speed. The you tuber was adding refrigerant as a liquid. you can not do this unless you are charging a system with an accumulator or you are experienced in charging systems. If liquid hits your new compressor, you can damager its valves. It is also a bad idea to weigh the refrigerant on a scale with the hose hanging down. You need to support the hose so it won't influence your weight. You can not add oil into the yellow hose. It will not work well. Oil should be introduced either while the system hoses are open or use an oil injector.
kapilamuni

Post by kapilamuni »

Thanks Guys. 8-)
As Dougflas mentioned, my gauge set has no schrader valve and I just crack it loose a bit and release some gas out.