Compressor Won’t Shut Off, Freezing Evaporator

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

tbirdtbird
Preferred Member
Read the full article

Re: Compressor Won’t Shut Off, Freezing Evaporator

Post by tbirdtbird »

"so I added some and will wait to see if it holds"

Hopefully what you added did not have sealer in it. Those fancy cans at the parts store with the short hose and low pressure gauge have sealer, and will gum up your system. And those gauges are notoriously inaccurate
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
graycenphil

Post by graycenphil »

I’m using a real gauge set; they certainly agreed with the frozen line diagnosis. The freon was pure. I still have a 30 pound tank I bought years ago. I can’t believe how expensive it has gotten. It seems like they are charging more than if you just bought a bunch of 12 ounce cans.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

After the daily ambient temperatures rise in your area to 80°F and above, keep an eye on it after running it for a while. If you notice reduced air flow together with poor cooling, the evaporator has iced-up again due to a refrigerant leak someplace. Given the vehicle's age and mileage, the leak could be anywhere. But first focus-in on the compressor shaft seal for the source of the leak. Also look for compromised metallic lines, especially down low, because of the use of corrosive chemicals on the roads in winter.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
graycenphil

Post by graycenphil »

Thanks again John. I will keep an eye on it.