AC blowing hot Air when parked outside on hot days

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

shabeer
Read the full article

AC blowing hot Air when parked outside on hot days

Post by shabeer »

Land Cruiser 2010 GXR V8 Engine
Car AC is Working fine most of the time. Only when I park my car on hot days for a while (maybe 8hrs) and start the car AC will start blowing hot air
(if I am lucky some days no issue or if i take a restart it may work).it will start blowing cool air after 30 minutes to one hour.
Checked the gas pressure, electric lines no issues found. Please help.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: AC blowing hot Air when parked outside on hot days

Post by Cusser »

quote]
Parked in the sun, or under cover???? Makes a huge difference.

I'm in Arizona, and on a 110F day (common) the dashboard, seats, interior, etc. will be - wait for it - 100F !!!
If one parks in the sun, that stuff could be 140F or more.
The AC system has to "exchange" that heat, so if in the sun, start with windows open as outside air will be significantly COOLER than the interior air. Then switch to Recirculation/Maximum.

Measure and post the vent temperatures after driving 15 minutes with AC on.
shabeer

Post by shabeer »

Thanks Cusser for your kind reply.
Yeah the issue I said is happening when I parked under shaded parking only (Covered from TOP and not from sides).
Outside Temperature may be between 110F and 115F.
Situation was worse when I parked under direct sun, it took a day to get AC back to normal. It was blowing hot air entire day.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Is the compressor spinning when this happens?
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

bohica2xo wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 5:49 am Is the compressor spinning when this happens?
Bohica is asking if the compressor drive plate - the center part of the compressor - is spinning at the same speed as the drive belt and outer pulley of the compressor.

An AC shop can extract the refrigerant and weigh it, to see if your system has leaked out sufficient quantity to affect the AC. Do NOT blindly add refrigerant, ans especially do NOT add any sealer or refrigerant containing a sealer or leak stop chemical, you could do permanent damage.
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Post by JohnHere »

I add to the above questions and comments by asking, Does the A/C light on the instrument panel blink when you get the no-cooling condition?
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
shabeer

Post by shabeer »

Compressor didn't engage when ever issue is there(may be 30 mins to 1 hr).yes ,ac was blinking during that period.I asked about the refrigerant level to the mechanic he told me as the pressure gauge readings are fine no issue on refrigerant level.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Given the age of the vehicle probably a clutch gap issue. Some of those Toyota V8 installs are difficult to get access to the compressor / clutch to deal with it.

Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

shabeer wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 8:11 am Compressor didn't engage when ever issue is there (may be 30 mins to 1 hr).yes ,ac was blinking during that period. I asked about the refrigerant level to the mechanic he told me as the pressure gauge readings are fine no issue on refrigerant level.
Getting somewhere here.
1. Mechanic said pressures were good, but apparently didn't evacuate the system and WEIGH the refrigerant amount. So refrigerant amount may be OK, or not.

2. When the AC is on, engine running but compressor not engaging, I would have you or mechanic see if the AC clutch is getting positive voltage. Ways to do this might include a DC voltmeter, maybe even a screwdriver to indicate if the AC clutch magnetic coil is working, but cannot engage the compressor drive plate, like too much gap. Remember to be especially careful of moving belts, fans, and engine parts for such testing !!!
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

That compressor has a speed sensor I believe. That would explain the flashing light on the A/C control head.

Since the compressor is 13 years old and likely has plenty of miles on it - if it were my vehicle I would replace it with a new OEM Denso compressor.