1973 Camaro Z28 POA HELP!!

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

camaroguy
Read the full article

1973 Camaro Z28 POA HELP!!

Post by camaroguy »

Guys I have a 1973 Camaro Z28. I have had this car since 1975 never really used the a/c but would like to now. I disassembled the system blew out all lines. replaced dryer and hoses going to the dryer and hose going to the expansion valve from the dryer and replaced exp.valve. Drained the oil from the compressor and only got a few drops from the compressor. Filled the compressor with the recommended R12 oil to 10 oz assembled the system pulled a vacuum and it held 28". Started with my first can of R-12 it took a while to get a half of can in then the low side pressure jumped to 80-85 then 95. I stopped the high side did not move. The compressor was hot to the touch. This system still retains the original POA valve and compressor. I can turn the compressor by hand with little resistance. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Dougflas

Re: 1973 Camaro Z28 POA HELP!!

Post by Dougflas »

What is the high side reading while the system is off? After a few minutes, it should read the same as the low side. keep the high side hand wheel on the manifold closed, place your R12 in hot water, and you will get the R12 to flow into the system. I think that system requires 3 1/4 lbs of R12. You should have put 525 viscosity mineral oil in it. After you get the R12 in, you can check the POA by unplugging the blower motor. The low side should read 28 to 32 PSI.
camaroguy

Post by camaroguy »

The high side does not move at all stay's at zero. The poa valve is warm on both side. How do I test the poa by unplugging the blower motor?
Dougflas

Post by Dougflas »

Sorry for the long delay of answering your question. If the high side is reading zero, the high side hose fitting probably is not opening the Schrader valve. When you get the system running, by unplugging the blower motor the low side should read 28 to 32 PSI