GDP switches and accumulator

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

JCTyler
Read the full article

GDP switches and accumulator

Post by JCTyler »

I'm in the process of getting my classic car's a/c up and running after years of not using it. Its a 1983 Alfa Romeo-GTV6. Its all original US Spec. York Compressor. Kenmore KMP accumulator. I'm replacing the accumulator and switches because they're old and I can't get the old switches to fit on a new accumulator and have them sit without getting in the way under the hood without adapters. I know the the old switches are low pressure (black) and high pressure (green). I want to the new switches behave like the old ones. Does anyone know if my old switches are in series or parallel? In my search this turns up as both a high pressure and low pressure switch. Would it be possible wire these together, then to the compressor like before?

Here are the switches and accumulator I'm looking at:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 6972&jsn=3
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... sn=3&jsn=3

Here's my old setup:
20210623_161055_resized.jpg
20210623_161055_resized.jpg (208.05 KiB) Viewed 3515 times
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Re: GDP switches and accumulator

Post by tbirdtbird »

I am thinking series, lets see what others say
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

Switches could be for many things, you need to look at the wiring diagram for the car.

As I recall those Alfas had electric fans, so one switch may run the fan above a certain pressure.

There are switches with dual functions called Trinary switches available. This may let you use a single switch instead of two.

Really need to know the function of both switches before proceeding.
JCTyler

Post by JCTyler »

I know this is an out there question, can I cut open an accumulator and reseal it with new desiccant?
Last edited by JCTyler on Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bohica2xo
Preferred Member

Post by bohica2xo »

While refurbishing a dryer could be done, generally this is an expensive route reserved to 100 point cars.

The switches in your picture would appear to be wired in series with the jumper wire that crosses the top of the dryer. If the green switch has more than one wire however it may have other functions.

Do you know the thread sizes of your OEM switches? With that information you should contact the site sponsor, ackits.com and see if they can find you the proper dryer. Tim at AC Kits has helped a lot of people with odd parts.
JCTyler

Post by JCTyler »

I do; I measured them. I can give Tim at a/c kits a call on Mon. I'm new to this trying to tell an NPT apart from an NPS connection. The green switch high pressure appears to be an NPT connection, because it screws in without an O ring and seems to taper slightly at the end. Would NPS connection always have an O-Ring? The black low pressure switch has one. I think the thread on the green is 1/8-27 NPT and the black is a metric at M10x1,0.
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

JCTyler wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:36 pm I do; I measured them. I can give Tim at a/c kits a call on Mon. I'm new to this trying to tell an NPT apart from an NPS connection. The green switch high pressure appears to be an NPT connection, because it screws in without an O ring and seems to taper slightly at the end. Would NPS connection always have an O-Ring? The black low pressure switch has one. I think the thread on the green is 1/8-27 NPT and the black is a metric at M10x1,0.
I won't be around much Monday. Infusion drug day at Mayo for my transplanted kidney. Send an email and I'll look at it when I get a chance.
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum