Help with 2005 Jeep Wrangler - LS3 swap AC Plumbing

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

MiPilot
Read the full article

Help with 2005 Jeep Wrangler - LS3 swap AC Plumbing

Post by MiPilot »

Guys, I having trouble sourcing some of the parts I need to plumb the ac lines. I have a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that I dropped a LS3/6L80E combo into. I am running a LSX compressor bracket with a Sanden SD507 compressor. The evap and condenser are stock jeep. I can find the male spring lock fittings for the evap witch I believe are #6 & #8.

The fittings I am having the biggest issue with is on the condenser. They appear to be a "pad type". Any idea where I can find these in a crimp for hose? I also need to be able to put the orifice tube in there. I'm thinking I might have to use the stock liquid line and cut it above the orifice to switch to hose.

And then there is the accumulator. The stock unit with the bracket will not work. Is there a universal that will work? Can I use one from a different care with a male spring lock hose already attached.

Thank you in advance for any help.

DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: Help with 2005 Jeep Wrangler - LS3 swap AC Plumbing

Post by DetroitAC »

Accumulators aren't really such special devices, yes you could find another with fittings you can connect to and orientation that will work for you. I realize you have springlocks on your evap, and you'll need to use those, but no need to use them anywhere else. Springlocks were phased out for a reason, they are fantastic on the assembly line, but high warranty, they tend to leak.

Some OEM fittings are available, but they are not easy to get, I think you'll want to do some cutting and welding/brazing to get a setup that will work.

SD507 is tiny, gonna cool but don't expect too much
MiPilot

Post by MiPilot »

Good info...So I'm thinking of cutting the pad fittings off the condenser and tig welding new o-ring fittings on. This will get me past those pad fittings and the rest should be straight forward. Sound about the right course?

Thanks again.....Steve
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

You must be darn good with a TIG torch, such thin metals.....

There are shops that specialize in doing this kind of thing if u change your mind. I have 2 within 30 min of me
Not sure they are using TIG, they call it brazing
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

Works with map gas, preferred use Oxygen/Acetylene

42-00110-20
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

It's been years since I've tried TIG altering a condenser, trouble is they are always filthy, you have to get 100% the PAG oil cleaned in the welding area, and then you'll be OK welding different fittings to tubes (they will be 3003 probably). If you need to weld anywhere that has been cladded it's tricky. Condensers are brazed in production and the base metal is rolled together with a clad material that melts at a lower temperature. They are fluxed and the flux isn't cleaned off. Last few times I've tried repairing prototype condensers I've just given up, weld puddle looks terrible, contaminated somehow. It can be done with TIG, but need to really clean and grind the area down to only base metal and no PAG oil within 10 feet, it gets hot and wicks right into your weld puddle.

I TIG fittings and tubes together all the time, pretty easy but I have a nice Miller Dynasty, the aluminum walls are thick, everything is easy to acetone clean. I think most AC tubing is 3003, and fittings are 6061, welds great. Maybe think about doing it the other way? cut off pad fittings from your existing hoses and weld those to new hose fittings, get a shop to crimp them after?