excursion rear lines

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

samsdad02
Read the full article

excursion rear lines

Post by samsdad02 »

Hello all. newbie with a new to me EX.

Previous owner removed the front lines to the rear ac and crimped and soldered the the ends where block off plates would go. Before I spend time and money replacing the missing lines, is there a way to test the rear lines to make sure there are no leaks there? Local parts store that has repair hose suggests putting a gauge on them and pressuring them. I figure I can get some fittings, put a schrader valve and pressure gauge on to see if it leaks down but dont know the thread or size of the rear lines. Also what is the pressure should I use? thank, Paul
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Re: excursion rear lines

Post by DetroitAC »

Hey samsdad02, they are leaking, wouldn't you think? They were sacrificed with a hacksaw and a welder to just be blockoff fittings.

I installed rear block off fittings on a 03 Expedition and the underbody lines were just comical, I got out my nitrogen bottle and the leak was so big the neighbors across the street looked over. The lines had leaked and been fabricobbled fixed with all kinds of junk until they just gave up.

Before you get really serious, I would just do a quick and dirty test with an air compressor rubber cone nozzle and a pinched closed tube. If it gets past that hurdle I leak test low side stuff (your rear evaporator) with 150 psi nitrogen. If these lines have been open for years, you don't need to worry about contaminating with wet and oily air compressor air, they are already contaminated.
samsdad02

Post by samsdad02 »

I assUme the lines that have been removed were the leakers. The compression joint on the rears that joins the front and rear section of lines were taped off.

Was trying to do some sort of setup to see if it held pressure.
DetroitAC
Preferred Member

Post by DetroitAC »

Yeah, that could very well be true.

Is it a compression fitting? i.e. a ferrule? If so that's an aftermarket repair fitting. I think the factory fittings joining the two halves of pipes will be tube-o (o-ring sealed), maybe should open them up and take a look, measure the thread while you are under there.

There are generic tube-o plug fittings available, would be possible to drill a hole and put a tap and 1/8npt fitting in there, 1/4 flare or even a Schrader stem as you suggested. It's not a common thing to do, it will take some internet detective work to find them and find the size you need.

Lately this discussion board is mostly an Excursion discussion board...
Tim
Site Admin

Post by Tim »

DetroitAC wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:53 am
Lately this discussion board is mostly an Excursion discussion board...
and Mazda 6. :)
------------------------------
Please support ACKITS.com for your Auto A/C Parts and Tool needs.

Help Support the Forum