02 Silverado ac compressor problem

Friendly format provided to inquire about automotive a/c systems.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Chasdrng
Read the full article

02 Silverado ac compressor problem

Post by Chasdrng »

I have a 02 Silverado and after about 10 minutes the clutch stops working. I've tried the jumper wire on the low pressure & high pressure and switch on the back of compressor along with new relays but clutch still don't come on. Also replaced orface tube. Any ideas?
JohnHere
Preferred Member

Re: 02 Silverado ac compressor problem

Post by JohnHere »

When you changed the OT, did you use the correct part and install it in the right direction? Did you replace the accumulator/dryer? And how did you re-charge it?

The gap of the clutch-engagement surfaces might be too wide. It should be around 0.020" or the thickness of a standard business card. A gap larger than that can cause clutch re-engagement problems as the compressor cycles.
Member – MACS (Mobile Air Climate Systems Association)

Thankful for the responses you have received? Please consider making a monetary donation to this Forum.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

I agree- next time "clutch stops working" get out of the truck and find a way to bump the front hub (clutch) of the compressor- chances are really good it will snap in and start working. This is a sure sign of a "too wide air gap"- Fix it by removing the clutch, and removing the thickest shim in behind it- be careful to find it when removing the clutch- it will fall out. throw the shim away and put it back together and get another 100k miles out of it.
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

I fixed intermittent AC clutch operation in my 1998 Nissan Frontier by removing a clutch shim back in 2019. It's still working great.

On that truck I didn't need to remove the AC compressor to do that, or even the compressor belt !!!
Chasdrng

Post by Chasdrng »

I think I may have found the problem. I can't figure out how to post a video to show you so I'll just say when engaged the clutch is wobbling bad. What do ya'll think?
tbirdtbird
Preferred Member

Post by tbirdtbird »

bearing

not sure you can directly post vids here, load into youtube then link
When considering your next auto A/C purchase, please consider the site that supports you: www.ACKits.com
Cusser
Preferred Member

Post by Cusser »

Chasdrng wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:22 pm I think I may have found the problem. I can't figure out how to post a video to show you so I'll just say when engaged the clutch is wobbling bad. What do ya'll think?
Without seeing the video: I'd say you found the problem.

Note that most times a new AC clutch assembly will cost about the same as a brand-new compressor with clutch. So likely change to a new (not rebuilt) compressor.