Looking for some help with a new product

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

channah
Read the full article

Looking for some help with a new product

Post by channah »

Hello, I am inventor of performance auto parts. I am looking for some help with a project that is related to the A/C unit on a car. Essentially, I want to be able to tie into existing systems to add a small evaporator for cooling a very small area. I don't want to give away more information than that regarding the purpose, but it shouldn't matter. The key is how best to add an evaporator into the system. Would you tie in directly from the output of the expansion valve or might it be sufficient to simply tap the low side after the evap? If I did this, where would you run the return? Keeping it in the engine compartment would be preferable. Any help on standard ways to tap a system would be much appreciated. I know nothing about auto A/C.

Any help greatly appreciated.
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Re: Looking for some help with a new product

Post by GM Tech »

treat it like a rear system- like in a van, or suburban- they have a liquid line split prior to expansion device for the front- then run a line to another rear evaporator, then return back to the intake of the compressor. 2nd evaporator uses an expansion valve (TXV)
channah

Post by channah »

Thanks for that...makes perfect sense. Would you recommend aluminum tubing or is there possibly a good flex tubing, preferably braided for looks? Also, any info on connectors would be appreciated.

BTW, running just an 8x10" evap for an older Toyota pickup.
channah

Post by channah »

As I am researching this more, there is some risk in a dual system that if one evap route is running and the other is not, that a backflow can occur. I assume there is a way to add a solenoid valve within the system to shut off the second loop entirely. Again, any help with common fittings, methods would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I need dry air. Is there a preferred method or material to help ensure dry output when blowing across an evaporator coil? I have room for some material but do not want to significantly reduce cool air flow.

One more thing, while prototyping this device, would it be sufficient to tap into the system at the high and low line taps?
GM Tech
Preferred Member

Post by GM Tech »

High side would have to be behind condenser-- would not work IMO because of the restriction in the port causing an orifice effect.
There are vehicles that use solenoids-- for rear systems- but only in foreign countries that I know of...Delica van comes to mind-- I would not concern myself with them.

Dry air- means use of screens on backside of evap-- I assume compartment will be smaller than a rear of a van-- so humidity should soon get low...