Compressor shelf life?

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, JohnHere

Dave in Texas
Read the full article

Compressor shelf life?

Post by Dave in Texas »

10+ years ago I bought an NOS York compressor manufactured in '75 for my '81 F100. (York factory tag reads: No. M1120857 R210L #16753 MFD 04-75)
For one reason or another I never had a need to use it. Drained 4¼oz clear/Brown oil from it today. Shaft turns w/wrench and makes compression.
Any reason I shouldn't add oil and install it?
My reason for using is to replace new comp that is making a LOT of noise. Worried it is faulty. Seemed to work kinda ok, but at high RPM really makes bad sounds.
Not sure how much oil to put in the NOS unit. Recent rebuild w/new evap/accum/conds/orfice tube and AC worked at idle but only managed to get to the high 50°s. My hoses have cut-offs at the compressor so I can isolate/change easy enough.
I've heard these bad noises before but only after years/years of use. Bad noises from new comp on day #1 after start, is very worrisome.
Help/advice very much appreciated. Thanks.
Dave
Retired IBEW Electrician. Veteran ('61-'67)
1981 F100 (bought new) 300-6 4-sp stock truck(R12)
1987 Coupe Deville (R134a)
2003 Harley Low Rider
Cusser
Preferred Member

Re: Compressor shelf life?

Post by Cusser »

I don't see any reason not to use it.
Walyo

Post by Walyo »

What is a positive holding charge? Thanks.
ice-n-tropics

Post by ice-n-tropics »

York shelf life is influenced by the position of the comp during storage.The box is marked to store with the shaft face down so that the face type shaft seal is immersed in oil. The compressor is shipped with a holding charge which should remain. The old spec mineral oil has much more tolerance for moisture than newer PAG. York common on old military diesel vehicles where noise isn't a problem.
hotrodac/Montalba TX