Recovering Freon

Information on some common auto air conditioning topics.
Archived Forum

Moderators: bohica2xo, Tim, Dougflas, HECAT

maraian

Recovering Freon

Postby maraian » Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:15 am

Im getting ready to replace a busted low pressure hose.
Is it standard practice to get the freon recovered prior to work when there is a large leak?
Figuring that the freon has already leaked out seems like kind of pointless to get freon recovered, although i guess there may be a little freon left in somewhere?
I will be evacuating the system with a vacuum pump after install.
JohnHere

Re: Recovering Freon

Postby JohnHere » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:31 pm

If there is zero pressure in the system, there is nothing to recover. I would go ahead with replacing the leaking hose, as well as the receiver/dryer or accumulator. Then evacuate and recharge according to the refrigerant specification on the under-hood decal.
maraian

Postby maraian » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:41 am

Thanks, I was planning to read the pressure before starting the procedure, but was not sure the reading would be accurate given the compressor is not coming on due to low pressure.
JohnHere

Postby JohnHere » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 am

If the LP hose has a major leak, I'm pretty sure there won't be any refrigerant left in the system. But to be safe, wear protective goggles anyway in case refrigerant rushes out under pressure. You definitely don't want any liquid refrigerant in your eyes.
Let us know how it goes.
maraian

Postby maraian » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:45 pm

It when well, there was no pressure in either side so I skipped the Freon recovery. When I stuck the vac pump on it, it didn't seem like any freon was coming out. Hardest part of the job was swapping the drier bag, had to rip apart the whole front end and removed bumper and radiator to get to it.

Return to “Automotive Air Conditioning Procedures, Tips and FAQ.”